Sharknado! yep... a movie about a shark tornado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it has happened.
Sharknado!
Sharknado (TV Movie 2013) - IMDb
Flying sharks...since there are no more intelligent stories left to be told.
Besides, flying pirahnas has already been done...

Technically the sharks weren't flying, they were just sky surfing in tornadoes. But that gave them all they needed to launch an attack against Los Angeles. A 2200 pound shark is surprisingly aerodynamic.
I zipped through most of the movie where some actors I remember from somewhere years ago struggle to bring formulaic characters to life. I wanted to get right to the flying sharks. Yes, the title says it all. You may think a great white shark is bad news in the water but wait till you see them flying around. This is the big break that sharks have been waiting for. As in all SyFy Original movies, they end up killing the monster with some explosive device made of canisters, tubes and wires taped together that the brave protagonist has to stick it in the monster's mouth, eye or butt at just the right time to kill it. I never guessed it would work on tornadoes filled with sharks.

This would be heart-breaking on the level of shark conservation but then we look at some previous SyFy Channel movies

Dinoshark
Frankenfish
Jersy Shore Shark Attack
Malibu Shark Attack
Shark Swarm
Sharktopus
Swamp Shark

This would be heart-breaking to me as a novelist knowing how many great books there are out there that would be great movies but then I look at some previous SyFy Channel movies

Piranhaconda
Megapython vs Gateroid
Mansquito

Just look at the whole list...

Category:Syfy original films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This isn't the absurdist use of violence we see peppered with the great lines of a Tarantino film. It's too gorey to be funny in a Monty pythion kind of way. So boys and girls, how do we feel about this? Does it bring awareness to the plight of oceanic apex predators?

One of the best 'so bad, it's good' movies I've seen for a while.

Best of all was the continuity... showing a giant storm, then cut to characters standing on a sunny, calm beach. Or that they didn't 'close off' shooting locations, so we see people getting devoured by flying tiger sharks, whilst commuters go about their routine business in the background.. LMAO

The shark 'chasing' one character up a climbing rope was particularly inspired... chomp-chomp-chomp as it chewed its way up the rope! ha ha ha

Not to mention all the 'spliced' footage hilarity... stuff purloined from documentaries (great white swimming in deep blue), then flash to a shark fin emerging from a muddy storm drain. The 'hurricane' spliced footage was great too... I recognized spliced footage from earlier typhoons in the Philippines - didn't look like Beverly Hills at all :D

I also loved the fact that characters choose to confront attacking sharks with chainsaws, even though they were riding around in a mini-gun armed Hummer... that they 'happened' to find sitting around on an LA side-street... (look closely... you'll see the gatling gun...)

*spoiler* 'Equalizing' tornadoes (and dispersing them) by throwing home-made LPG camping-stove bottle 'bombs' was also a stroke of genius... who'd have guessed... think of all the lives that could have been saved in real life.... LMFAO

How about "Nunnado"? A tornado hits a convent, sucks up a bunch of yard stick weilding banshee nuns and dumps them indiscriminately upon unexpecting juvenile delinquents.

ROFL I watched this the other night. Loved the part where the guy cuts his way out of the shark from the inside.

We tried so hard to enjoy it but had to turn it off after an hour. Couldn't take it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom