Hell to Catch - please tell me you've seen this show!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anybody seen any episodes? I think it plays on the weather channel.

Oh my, please watch and let me know what you think.

It's about commercial spear fishing

On the episode I saw the captain of the boat gave his expert opinions and facts about DCS, when his female spear fishing diver surfaced and threw up while sucking down the diesel fumes at the back of his boat. He explained she had the bends and asked her if she wanted some oxygen, which she said yes to. Moments later after sucking down some oxygen they cut to her ready to go back in and the captain explaining that is how the bends work, you breathe some oxygen and it goes away in a few minutes and you're ready to dive again.

Has anybody seen any episodes? I think it plays on the weather channel.

You mean "Catching Hell" Catching Hell - Spearfishers risk their lives in extreme depths for the best catch

Dyslectics of the world, UNTIE !!

A quick look at the website is not impressive:

Oxygen is low but one more fish and one more minute means one more dollar. Thunder rumbles the current and changing weather becomes the most immediate danger. Sharks and a low oxygen tank seem like an afterthought as one diver rushes to reach the surface, to rejoin his crew.

sigh. . .

I've DVR'ed 2 shows & watched them both late @ nite while trying to fall asleep......How are they???------So So, guess it beats counting sheep.......SURE didn't beat the thingy(sex) right before though......:no:

That particular boat capt is a dumbass. The shows ok with 1 of the 3 boat capt and divers acting normal. The other 2 capt/divers are nothing but a joke. A really bad joke.

Don't like it. It has gone overboard (excuse the pun:D) on the drama. I agree that at least one of the Captains is an idiot. Case in point diver comes up sick to the stomach & complaining of a severe headache. First thing he says is it is "Deco sickness", he seen it before & that is what is is. If you watched the diver, she was swimmming around all over the place very quickly & breathing very hard (most likely Hypercapnia- aka CO2 excess). Now... go figure. I realize drama gets ratings, but let's be factual to those who know nothing about diving... What I've seen of the show, could scare the hell out of a non- diver.

Now, I feel foolish for spending all that money on dive training and all this technical gear, lol. I'm just glad this DCS thing isn't as bad as everyone says it is.

That it!

How about when they were talking about the storm they were in had 100 mph winds???? WTF? 100mph that's like a hurricane isn't it?

How exactly do they make any money? The one captain said they grossed $2200 The captain gets 40%, that leave $1300. Then he deducts expenses, that's got to be 400-500 for fuel and such, that leaves about $800, then they split it 3 ways so that leaves about $300 at best for an over night trip or two days of work, or $150 a day, or about $5.00 an hour.

Watched it,laughed at the DCS thing. First things that came to mind for me was CO2/overexertion or CO poisoning. Not that DCS isn't serious and shouldn't be suspected but just the reasoning was dubious

I do enjoy watching them diving though but feel bad for the fish (cept the sharks,free food \o/)

Back
Top Bottom