US netflix Scuba shows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottwilson1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Noticed a couple shows on the weekend when I turned over to US netflix

DinoFish 2012 - Lots' of tek diving ( rebreathers , trimix and such ) pretty cool to watch

Discover Planet Ocean - 2009 Japanese docu - englished dubbed in - not the same production values as BBC but not bad and lots of scuba diving and free diving - some spear fishing too

Fish Tank Kings - 2012- current -More about Aquariums and such - there several episodes with a fair bit of diving and trying to catch some fish - some stuff i don't agree with but overall i like the show

good lord is Fish Tank Kings painful to watch the diving..... Dinofish was pretty bad too. If you want to see some good diving watch this

NOVA | Extreme Cave Diving
Didn't say they were good at it lol

When it comes to TeK I don't know much - if they were bad at it might explain the opening to the show.......
I also posted about a Magnum pi episode called rapture - if you want to see some unsafe diving...

Thanks for the link

Pretty much all the tv shows and documentaries are corny. The problem is that if you leave out the suspense building(fear mongering) narration, it's really boring after about 30 seconds.

And then you have the product placement....like the atomic split fins....whatever.

Even funnier is the unrealistic dialogue between the divers...especially in dinofish. Riddle me this, how is it that divers on comms in 380' of water have no signs of voice distortion? Not diving mix at 380'??? Laughable.

Last edited:
Pretty much all the tv shows and documentaries are corny. ... Laughable.

I didn't take anyone's word for it. I went and watched it myself.

Ugh. Dinofish was really bad.

As an eight minute Youtube video with some simple explanatory voiceover, it would have been excellent. Instead, it was fattened up with campy reenactments and then gagged with a script that had been marinated in a slop bucket of imported genres: noir detective films, early B&W horror à la The Hound of the Baskervilles, Blair Witch-flavor shaky handheld "horror", Benchley-esque black-water-symphonic horror. No cliché, no matter how tired or wretched, was off-limits.

The underwater photography was high quality. Several shots/scenes are really good: a short few at the busy fishermans' landing in Tanzania; the interviews of each of the divers; each shot where an investigator studies, touches or interacts with captured coelacanths; every millisecond of live footage of the beastie at its native depth. All very nice.

One wonders how many more dives they could have budgeted if the producers didn't build a whole scene around a triumphant reenactor scientist-hero stepping out of an absolutely immaculate chartered DC3 (in period livery!) to salute his adoring fans. I think a B&W still from an old newspaper would have explained it well enough, and saved fifty or sixty grand.

Overall, it was not "regular" bad. More like, "this project got me kicked out of film school" bad.

I have been watching a lot of you tube as of late and have had good luck with full episodes of Deep Sea Detectives and Chatterton 2006 expedition to Britannic. Oh and Deep Sea Chalenger by James Cameron is new to Netflix very good show!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom