Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Becky- The last episode showed an In Memoriam to a 28 yearold man pictured in a wetsuit. Did theylose a diver while you were filming?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda22 View Post
    Becky- The last episode showed an In Memoriam to a 28 yearold man pictured in a wetsuit. Did theylose a diver while you were filming?

I believe it was John Bunce. I also believe he died due to an accidental gun shot - not diving. I read that, but have no actual proof or valid vetting.....just something I read so take it for what its worth.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

[QUOTE=

Becky - there are what? 4 or 5 dredge teams on the show? Do you guys have a camera crew with each one, filming all the time, or do you have fewer crews and are jumping around filming in rotations with each dredge?

By the way, how many Go Pros are in the kit up there?[/QUOTE]

For the winter season we only filmed 3 dredges. There were 2 camera teams and we rotated every day to a different dredge so we got a chance to work with everyone. When we weren't there GoPros were used to put on the minor or on the hoses just in case. They were used for specific shots too. If you watch the first episode in the begining you see a shot that is a "point of view" shot through a divers mask.We put a GoPro inside of an OTS mask and I swam it around getting these POV shots for something different. =)

---------- Post Merged on September 13th, 2012 at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was on September 12th, 2012 at 11:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by manni-yunk View Post
    Florida to Philly!!! Nice....Are you converted Philly sports fan yet!

I live 20 min from Dutch, but, havent been there in over a year.....people around here turn into dive snobs quick. Its NJ on a boat, or nothing!!!

Might head there soon to play with a few new gear tweaks.

Congrats on the shows success!

Yep FL to Philly its been fun and interesting although when i'm working a lot I'm hardly ever here. My goal is to book work in the warm parts of the world during the cold months. Funny story I was so proud of myself for avoiding winter and not seeing snow once this year, then in April I got the call for Alaska. =) I almost made it! FL girl meets ice diving now that was REALITY! lol

---------- Post Merged on September 13th, 2012 at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was on September 12th, 2012 at 11:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldGuy View Post
    One thing you will find out if you spend some time in Alaska is that a huge proportion of the population does not give a rats ass about certifications, rules and procedures specified by private organizations (like dive certs) and the government in the lower 48. They tend to be very independent by nature and thrive on learning on-the-job. One of the reasons they live someplace that is so hostile is that to an extent its out of reach of the enforcement agencies and they can do what they want.

My guess is some of the divers are pretty competent in what they do, but a diver doing his job properly, sucking up dirt at 20' is boring to watch and ends up edited out. The screw ups and personal confrontations are more "exciting" to watch. The producers focus on the eccentric entertainers. It's not a documentary, its entertainment with a small dose of reality sprinkled in.

Your right we shot a lot of dirt dredging and us as divers might find it interesting. I certainly got a gold mining education! There is a science to this not just dig a hole and get gold. They should do an real documentary on how they find it. You really can see it on the bottom as it gets sucked up. Nome is also really interesting, it looks like the wild wild west in the 1900's frozen over. I fount it pretty fascinating. Plus i hear there are a lot of interesting wrecks and interesting sites there that no one dives because of its location.
    Mike and ScubaMoMo like this.
    http://www.LiquidProductions.com

"There are those who Dream of Exploration, Then there are those who Explore the Dream"

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    During filming did any of the crew get the itch and went looking for pickers?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I really like this show. I do find it very amusing that the Lazy Gator guys seemed to have the worst equiptment, but are working together much better than the others and as a result finding alot more gold.

Do they have to get any kind of special permits, or is it just a free for all out there?

Regular of the Pub

snarky commentor

Photos

Re: Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice

Could.believe that zeke wanted Steve to " write a one page apology using his best cursive." For calling him names.

What a pussy

sent using my Droid
    sent using emy Droid
    sent using my Droid

Regular of the Pub

snarky commentor

Photos

Re: Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice

Meant couldn't. Damn phone

sent using my Droid
    sent using my Droid
    sent using my Droid

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    Could.believe that zeke wanted Steve to " write a one page apology using his best cursive." For calling him names.

What a pussy

sent using my Droid
    sent using emy Droid
    sent using my Droid
    I did a double take when Zeke said that.I wonder if he also wanted it double spaced and will grade Steve on his penmanship.

Registered

Trying to get to first base
    with a jellyfish.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Yea-that was lame. I thought they were a little more rugged up there.
    "Just because you've taken the class, doesn't mean you're qualified to do the dive."
    -- Ninja Diver

Regular of the Pub

snarky commentor

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNSalty View Post
    Yea-that was lame. I thought they were a little more rugged up there.

Steve is a "quack f***-up" but Zeke is a freakin whiner.

he might bust his ass working, but I couldn't see him "taking orders" working for the someone... like the Pomrenke's.

The younger Pomrenke would have put a boot up his as and fired his whiny ass the first week.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast