DAN Strengthens Dive Accident and Travel Insurance Plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNewsWire

Contributor
Reaction score
Entering its 35th year of serving the diving community, Divers Alert Network has enhanced its dive accident and travel insurance plans to better meet the needs of members. Drawing upon extensive emergency assistance experience, DAN has developed superior plans with robust coverage designed to address the unique situations that divers may encounter. These valuable insurance programs are an important benefit of DAN membership and are consistent with DAN’s mission of keeping divers safer through education, training and relevant products.  
With its higher level of coverage, DAN’s new Guardian plan is a breakthrough in dive accident insurance. Some of the most important plan benefits include medical evacuation to home country, $500,000 medical expense coverage for dive accidents, $50,000 search and rescue coverage as well as coverage of select water sports including boating and sailing. Now available in 40 US States, DAN’s Guardian plan also offers other key coverage for loss of diving equipment, non-dive related medical accidents and permanent and total disability. The Guardian dive accident insurance plan provides worldwide coverage and is available to all DAN members, their families and the dive community at affordable prices at DAN.org/guardian 
DAN’s travel insurance provides protection for unforeseen events and affords divers and adventure travelers the freedom to pursue their travel dreams. DAN’s new Trip Insurance provides valuable travel protection for one special trip and features coverage such as Emergency Assistance and Transportation, Medical and Dental, Trip Interruption and Cancellation and baggage protection. DAN’s new Annual Travel Insurance plan is ideal for individuals who take multiple trips throughout the year. The Annual plan offers similar coverage but the limits are tailored specifically to the requirements of the year-round traveler. Both programs are available in the US and provide three coverage levels to choose from so travelers will be able to enjoy the protection best suited to their budget and coverage needs. Policies can be purchased online by members and nonmembers alike at DAN.org/travel.  
“This has been an exciting year for our insurance initiatives,” said Bill Ziefle, President and CEO, Divers Alert Network. “Our team worked diligently to strengthen both our dive accident and travel insurance offerings and our members are now able to enjoy products that offer greater protection and better peace of mind for diving or other adventure travel activities. This is definitely a great time to be a DAN member with access to these valuable benefits and this is just another way we stay true to our mission and give back to our loyal member community,” added Ziefle.  
About DAN: DAN's mission is to help divers in need of medical emergency assistance and to promote dive safety through research, education, products and diving services. The DAN Foundation is a 501(c) (3) organization (Tax ID # 56-1696689) and has grown to become the largest association of recreational scuba divers in the world since its inception in 1980. DAN is supported by membership dues and donations. Membership levels include individual, family, industry partners, professional, and students. Some benefits of DAN membership include emergency medical evacuation assistance through DAN TravelAssist, a subscription to Alert Diver magazine and access to DAN's insurance services. For more information, or to become a DAN member, explore DAN.org
Travel Insurance is underwritten by Generali US Branch, New York, New York; NAIC #11231. Generali US Branch operates under the following names: In California: Generali Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A. (U.S. Branch) In Virginia: The General Insurance Company of Trieste and Venice – U.S. Branch.

rSdDzGx1iUA

More...

Fortunately, I've never had to use my DAN insurance. However, two years ago I did switch to the equipment insurance they offer through their partner (Allianz/H2O). I was incredibly surprised when they paid out on a recent housing "flood" without question. Very good coverage and quick payment.

This is great news for all existing and future DAN policy holders. We suggest DAN travel and diving insurance to all or our clients.

We looked into the DAN Travel insurance and found a few things that may e of interest to others:

1) One of the exclusions states "scuba diving below 120 or without a dive master". I called the insurance provider and questioned this. The rep said that you don't have to have a diver master if you dive less than 120 ft deep. That seems to me to be NOT the statement in the exclusions, so I would want to get that in writing if it were something I intended to do.

2) The travel insurance covers TRIPS up to 31 days. We were considering living abroad for a year or so; this would not cover us in that case.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations about supplemental insurance if one is living abroad?

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

We looked into the DAN Travel insurance and found a few things that may e of interest to others:

1) One of the exclusions states "scuba diving below 120 or without a dive master". I called the insurance provider and questioned this. The rep said that you don't have to have a diver master if you dive less than 120 ft deep. That seems to me to be NOT the statement in the exclusions, so I would want to get that in writing if it were something I intended to do.

The Standard plan has a 130' PLANNED limit. If you planned a 150' dive it wouldn't cover you. If you planned a 100' dive and got caught in a down-current and ended up @ 150', it would. You can google for that. It was a little while ago on SB somewhere.

The Master plan has no depth limit.

I've never heard of any insurance requirement that you have a DM, for any of the plans.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom