Win a PETREL 2 - Enter our Video Contest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater

Contributor
Reaction score
featured image.JPG

Enter your scuba diving video for a chance to win a PETREL 2 dive computer on us.

Click here for more details: https://www.shearwater.com/news/2015-video-contest/

Any restrictions on audio and soundtrack ? Meaning use rights, royalty free or ownership of the audio required. Will videos that do not meet the requirement be eliminated from consideration ?

Any restrictions on audio and soundtrack ? Meaning use rights, royalty free or ownership of the audio required. Will videos that do not meet the requirement be eliminated from consideration ?

"By entering this contest, you confirm this video belongs to you, you have consent from those in it, and you have the rights to enter it into this contest."

---------- Post added July 1st, 2015 at 03:46 PM ----------

Interestingly, the official rules say "See official rules for details."

"By entering this contest, you confirm this video belongs to you, you have consent from those in it, and you have the rights to enter it into this contest."

---------- Post added July 1st, 2015 at 03:46 PM ----------

Interestingly, the official rules say "See official rules for details."

Yeah, I read that, but many people do not understand the details on music/audio rights. Many video contests provide clear specific language about audio in their rules. For the Petrel contest, they don't mention audio at all.

Some contest are more lenient and directed at hobbyists, while others are more strict. Not sure about this one.

My guess would be that they would lean towards the stricter side. I can see them using the video on their website for marketing; similar to what GoPro does with their users.

My guess would be that they would lean towards the stricter side. I can see them using the video on their website for marketing; similar to what GoPro does with their users.

The rules don't mention that. If that's what they intend... they need to mention that. Can't spring it on entrants after the fact.

---------- Post added July 1st, 2015 at 07:59 PM ----------

Yeah, I read that, but many people do not understand the details on music/audio rights. Many video contests provide clear specific language about audio in their rules. For the Petrel contest, they don't mention audio at all.

Some contest are more lenient and directed at hobbyists, while others are more strict. Not sure about this one.

Irrespective of the contest rules... you can't use music you don't own or have license to use.

The rules don't mention that. If that's what they intend... they need to mention that. Can't spring it on entrants after the fact.

---------- Post added July 1st, 2015 at 07:59 PM ----------

Irrespective of the contest rules... you can't use music you don't own or have license to use.

They require the top 5 entrants to send them their video file. They should explain why. If it is for their free use in advertising and marketing, they really need to state that. I don't think a 1/5 chance at a free Petrel is such a great deal for giving up good quality video footage. I could see if it was only for the winner, but the other 4 getting nothing is a very bad deal.

Hobbyists use music in their personal videos all the time. Yes, the music companies and artists could pursue hobbyists for damages or issue a cease letter, but most don't bother unless there is money to be made or real damages involved.

Professional and commercial videos are a totally different matter and videographers involved in that kind of work should be well aware of the requirements.

If Shearwater intends to use contest video footage for their marketing, they can just cut out the audio.

Last edited:
Hobbyists use music in their personal videos all the time. Yes, the music companies and artists could pursue hobbyists for damages or issue a cease letter, but most don't bother unless there is money to be made or real damages involved.

Or it's posted on youtube...

:D

If Shearwater intends to use contest video footage for their marketing, they can just cut out the audio.

If they cut out the audio you lose a major component of the video's character...I hope they clarify this.

Try to imagine what would Star Wars be without its music...

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom