Scuba assault investigation - Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The video has been widely seen in the news and on FB..

DLNR scuba assault investigation report at prosecutor?s office | West Hawaii Today
Hawaii County’s prosecuting attorney says his office has received a report on a May 8 incident in which one scuba diver allegedly ripped another diver’s breathing apparatus out of her mouth.

Mitch Roth said Monday his office did receive the Department of Land and Natural Resources’ investigation into the attack on Friday. He said it was being forwarded to the Kona office after being processed through his office’s intake procedures and he had not seen it yet himself.

A DLNR spokeswoman did not respond to an email seeking an update on the investigation as of press time Monday.

Rene Umberger, a Maui dive instructor and opponent of tropical fish collecting, told West Hawaii Today last month she was diving Keawaiki on May 8 with friends. They were recording two men collecting tropical fish on the reef when one saw her and swam toward her. The man pulled the regulator out of her mouth, Umberger said. She was about 50 feet below the surface. Umberger and another diver filmed the incident.

Umberger said Monday she has not been contacted by DLNR with any update on the case.

Reports last month indicated DLNR intended to cite the fish collector — whom other media outlets have identified but West Hawaii Today has not, because he has not yet been charged with any crime or named by the DLNR — with reckless endangerment and Umberger with harassing a fisherman.

Umberger initially attempted to report the attack to Hawaii Police Department. They referred the case to DLNR’s Division of Conservation and Resource Enforcement because the incident happened in the ocean, which is under DLNR’s jurisdiction.

The incident received national attention and shed light on the aquarium fish collecting industry in Hawaii.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please follow up for us Dandy Don.
Sorry, I'm not an investigator. I just pass along news that I run across. Locals there would be a better resource for updates, but if I see anything of interest - I'll add it.

interesting............such passion by both groups.

interesting............such passion by both groups.

People rarely go to war over things they do not care deeply about and often both sides have valid POV.

Ripping a breathing device out of someone's mouth while underwater is a potentially criminal action.
Taking pictures of a possible illegal fish collector is hardly criminal. Enlightening maybe, but not criminal.

I hope the DNLR gets this right and doesn't screw it up. I lived in Hawaii and I am very aware of how the inner politics of the islands work. Very much a tribal justice system. If you aren't in the tribe, well, …

How does taking video of someone taking fish constitute harassment? Is this just fluff from the "lets all be nice before you hurt my feelings" bunch?. If I'm doing that and someone then swims over and yanks my regulator out of my mouth - before I take the next breath, I'm going to stick a knife in them - period! Self defense and justified since at that time I don't know what else they are going to do, so an end needs to be put to it. Kind of like taking pictures of someone walking their dog, and they come up to you and slap a plastic bag over your head.

I know that in NY state those who harass hunters and chase game away can be arrested. If someone is pursuing a legal activity and others try to disrupt and prevent that activity they are in danger of being charged with harassment, and possibly even infractions of the fish and game regulations.

I do not know this particular situation well, or the HI fish and game laws at all, but if someone is engaging in a legal activity they are often entitled to certain protections under the law from people who would deliberately prevent that activity.

Having said that, if a hunter ran up to a protester and physically assaulted them in any way, they too would be breaking the law and subject to arrest. Approaching someone underwater who is not in your face and risking your life, and ripping that person's life support system out of their mouth certainly would seem to be risking an assault charge.

Back
Top Bottom