Snorkel Death - ok, not SCUBA, but ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once back on shore, Diauna Jane Tinker observed her unconscious husband foaming at the mouth. For over an hour as they waited for rescue helicopter to arrive, (the wife) knelt on the ground next to decedent and watched the failed resuscitation attempts as people administered CPR and repeatedly injected EPI pins into his body.

WTF, foaming at the mouth?

Foaming at the mouth is completely normal in drownings. If water gets into the airway it mixes with the surfactant, and forms foam.

So...you should be able to go on a snorkeling trip with no experience, and instead of saying "hey, we should get some training" just hop right in, hope for the best, and when poo hits the fan you can sue people? Sounds like a plan. Also, emotional duress from watching people save her husband? Would she have preferred them to just leave him alone?!

Condolences to her but I hope she loses the case.

Effing idiots, just looking for a payday.

Any sane judge would toss this in a heartbeat.

I would imagine the decedent had signed some type of waiver ahead of jumping in the water from the boat? Also, there is mention of rough conditions...this bit could be interesting.

Just off hand I went to the Yankee site - to look at the snorkeling section -

Key West Snorkeling | Dry Tortugas Snorkeling | Yankee Freedom

Buddy System

For your safety, you should always use the “buddy system” and swim with a friend, never alone! Please do not disturb the coral reefs you explore; it is important to remember that all coral (live and dead), shipwrecks and historic artifacts are protected by law. If you need to stand when you are out in the water, stand in the sand so that you don’t harm reefs or seagrass. You must also remember to display a dive flag outside of the designated snorkel area and to check your equipment before you begin your snorkel adventure. Keep in mind that weather can affect snorkeling conditions.

Obviously I am not sure when this section was added - but if I read this correctly - he should have left the water with his wife...

The link info seems to suggest you snorkel at your own risk. If so - suing for negligence, or other might be difficult?

WTF, foaming at the mouth?

It looks like this:

lZEiJ8L.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom