Help needed....looking to start a diving certifcation program for scouts in my locale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davilo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All:

I'm a diver but also a scout parent and looking to find or start a program in the south eastern massachusetts area for certifying scouts to dive.

Is there anyone who has experience with a startup who can help me? I'm really not sure of the effort or time involvement to do this.

Thanks for your help in advance.

David

I'd contact my local dive shop, they might have a group program that may work for you, or put you in contact with an instructor that'd be willing to help you.

Davilo,

If you plan to do this under the aegis of the Boy Scouts of America, it would be prudent to contact not only the local council, but also the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America.

There are probably other issues of which you are not aware.

I do know that to conduct any aquatic training of scouts, you have to approved by the council. You may even be required to attend the National Camping School of the BSA depending upon the level of training you wish to give.

Net Doc here on the board probably can give you some direction to help you along your path.

the K

Last year, we had scouts going to Laguna Station on South Padre Island for summer camp. The camp offers a week long scuba camp where the boys get certified. The requirements were that they be 14, that they complete a NAUI waiver, and a Class III physical.

Rather than having the scouts go to camp and spend a week in classes, about six of them opted to get certified here in Austin, then go to South Padre and go on a two-tank dive with the dive shop that does the certification for the scout camp.

The scouts got a pretty good deal on the dive class; I think they got 10% off, since I brought them to the shop as a group deal. After their dive, they also qualified for the relatively new Scuba award, which isn't a merit badge; it's more like the kayaking or snorkeling award.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks,
Matt

If I may add to the post.. WHat does the Aquatics Directors Camp Consist of?

Has anyone every been to one of the Aquatics Directors Camps to get certified to work with kids at the camp? What is it like please. Thanks, Clay

It's been a while back, but I attended the National Camping School, Boy Scouts of America at Camp Bert Adams outside of Atlanta, GA.

The school was a week long. The cirriculum included teaching methods, skills and performances and BSA procedure.

It included all aspects of the aquatic related programs and merit badges offered by the BSA: canoeing, life saving, swimming, etc.

Keep in mind that was in 1972. Things have changed.

the K

National Camp School is still required for Waterfront directors in addition to having WSI cert. As the K said, it teaches the BSA standards and procedures.

CGVMER

I am an active scouter and the BSA policy says that scouts 14 years or older may participate in Scuba Activities. Further NO SCUBA EQUIPMENT is permitted unless a Dive Master or Higher Certification is present. You do not need to be trained in Aquatics or Attend Camp School which I am sure does not teach any of the skills needed for diving.

You will also need (being arround water) to take Safety Afloat and Safe Swim Defense training (on line) when ever scouts are arround water. Scouts must also be certified as "Swimmer".

I asked scouts participating to do a mile swim to go into the ocean with me. While this is not a requirement I felt it prudent. It also served as a lot of fun, added water skills confidence all while conditioning for our trip to Sea Base. Remember there are no currents in a pool. I had 24 milers prior to arriving in Sea Base. A lot easier on my mind.
YIS
Diver_Pirate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom