Places to Dive for Venture Crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm wondering if there is a list out there that shows which Boy Scout camps offer SCUBA diving.

My Venture Crew has been to Bear Lake Utah (where we received our certification) and to Sea Base. We are located in Colorado, so I was looking to see if there were any other camps not too far off that offered SCUBA diving so we can get more dives in.

While this is further away, have you looked at SEA BASE? they have diving programs, icluding a new liveaboard. While it's a long trip from Colorado, the price is decent considering all your food and gear is included in the price.

Also consider one of the 4 day type liveaboard trips such as the Ultimate Getawaay or the Gulf Stream Eagle. you can do 4 days trips on them for $1k or under.

Mike did you mean the SEA BASE he mentioned in his second paragraph?

Happy Diving

Scuba Brad:
Mike did you mean the SEA BASE he mentioned in his second paragraph?

Happy Diving

Yep... the same one. heh.. I guess I missed it in his post. my bad. :D

Still a trip for them on something like the Ultimate Getaway would be a good scout trip. It's all "bunks" to sleep in, and you have to bring your own sleeping bag. kinda like camping at sea. You get a lotta bang for your buck in diving with them. That capt'n is kinda an 'a-hole'. that's the only problem with the boat.

ANother option would be the blackbeards trip out of the bahamas. it's like camping at sea also. perfect trip for scouts and low cost.

trips like these don't limit the diving as much as the seabase programs do.

You can try Laguna Station at South Padre Island, Texas. They offer a week-long scuba certification camp, but I brought some scouts there last summer who were already certified; we rolled a two-tank dive into their camp experience.

www.lagunastation.org

I am an eagle scout and a Scuba Instructor, I have worked the past three summers at Sea Base in Islamorada. The liveaboard program is great, a different experience then the scuba adventure program which i assume is the one you did. On the livaboard program you sail From Marathon to Key west and do about 15 dives in a week. So you get the sailing and diving it can also take more then 8 people.

I'm from Ga, and when i was kid we had a group of about 10 scouts that had been to sea base and such, and our fathers planned seperate diving trips for us in which we would camp.

Feel free to contact me with any questions about sea base, having worked there for 3 seasons i consider myself somewhat of an expert.

Luke

Luke, I tried to get our Scuba Venture Crew into the BSA Sea Base last year for our Spring Break trip. I was told that they no longer do Scuba due to liability issues. Was I given bad info?

Eaglescout6, we dive once a month here in Florida with our Crew. Our mission is to dive! If you want to bring your kids to Florida, I'd be more than happy to help you setup a huge variety of diving with the kids. We do boat and beach dives in the ocean as well as spring and river dives in fresh water.

PM me if you would like more info.

That info you got is bogus its one of their biggest programs. They will always do it, there is a great liablility there for the scouts so there are some restirctions like a hard bottom of 60 ft, but in the keys all the nicest reefs are above that.

Luke

Back
Top Bottom