Used Scuba equiment from Florida Sea Base

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have noticed that Sea Base offers used equipment. I am thinking of purchasing the BC/regulator combo package for my son. Does anyone have any experience with this equipment? Is it serviced before shipping?

Thanks for any responses.

I looked into used Sea Base equipment a while back. They appear to maintain the equipment very well. I've had no problems with their equipment in six trips to FSB. But last time I looked, they didn't discount the used equipment very much off the MSRP. I found better deals buying new gear.

I'm looking at $400.00 for BC and regulator package plus $7.50 per item shipping. I'm thinking that is good price. Am I wrong? This is for a 10 year old son who could easily outgrow the BC quickly. Any insight would be helpful.

I Just Got My Son A New Bc In Key Largo For $99.00 On Sale. Did Not Check Out The Price Of A New Reg.
Becky

Where and how long will it be on sale? What make and model.

I am hoping to get it before we go to Key Largo on Spring Break.

let me ask this about that......my lds offers a scuba rig, bcd, regs, console and roller bag,( calypso regs all aqualung gear ) for 1000$ plus every year while he grows i can trade in his bcd untill he's an adult,,,how does this sound to you all?

It's a Sea Quest not the best on the market but I also thought of him growing out of it soon. as long as it lasts 1 year I'm ok with that. Got it at Divers Direct in Key Largo
he got it for Christmas. While your down in Key Largo you might want to check out the Salvation Army store. ALOT of people come down buy things and don't have the room to take it back so they drop it off at the Salavation Army store. You can find wet suits, fins, I found an omer mask the other day paid $3.00 and it looked new.
Becky

Wheatondiver:
I have noticed that Sea Base offers used equipment. I am thinking of purchasing the BC/regulator combo package for my son. Does anyone have any experience with this equipment? Is it serviced before shipping?

Thanks for any responses.

I saw their gear advertisement also and thought it sounded like a good deal.
They do this every year. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with this gear as I've never heard any complaints and you've seen people ask a similar question on here about it in past years.

http://www.bsaseabase.org/store/SCUBA.pdf

First consider this stuff is used every week in salt water essentialy as "rental gear" by the campers. Even if they maintenance it, it's still gets a lot of salt water use.

However

So since the equipment comes with no warranty, here's what you can buy it new for from a 'no warranty' dealer. (Leisure Pro).

Aqualung Calypso Regulator.................... $175
Aqualung Calypso/Titan Octopus.............. $ 90
SeaQuest Analog Double Gauge................$155
SeaQuest Spectrum 1 BCD...................... $175
-----------------------------------------------
Cost new from LP ..................................$595

So you save about $200 buying it used.

However, hopefully you'll want to get the regulators serviced for safety before you son uses them. The Sea Base ad says they inspect them, but does not do annual service, which after one year of ocean dives on a weekly basis you would definately want. So figure $60 labor + $60 parts for annual service. $120 total.

That raises your inital cost from $400 to $520. You can buy new from LP or other places for $595. For the extra $75 bucks, I'd rather have new.

I'd also buy better gear than this too. This is bottom of the line. You'll just end up upgrading later and spending more money in the long run.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

I have purchased BC's in the past. Gear is well maintained but did not have a lower dump valve, just a cap (that how they buy them). There are others with more features for similar or lower cost. Regs are used one summer and sold off. Compare prices.
YIS
--DP

There are other dealers who offer packages as well. Here's one example, no used gear. I like this approach - kind of like 'menu pricing' when shopping for vehicles.

http://www.divers-supply.com/BUILD-A-CUSTOM-SCUBA-PACKAGE-p/pkgcustom.htm

I don't believe you have the 'warranty' issues with this firm - they advertise they are authorized dealers for everything they sell. I've purchased items from them, but never needed to explore the 'warranty' issues.

However, the Key Largo Salvation Army suggestion sounds too good not to try as well. If I get back to Florida again (Hurricanes Charley & Frances changed our itinerary last trip), I'll have to stop by to browse at minimum. Speargirl, is there a Hobby Lobby or other craft store I could let my wife shop at while I wander around Salvation Army browsing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom