want the kids to learn to dive now...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gogogadget

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
any reccommended dive schools for teens specifically? anywhere in the world? havent booked next years fa,ily holiday and willng/want to plan it around this... thanks guys

gogogadget,

My 16 year old son has taken all of the recreational diving courses and a bunch of specialty courses while we have traveled to various locations on fall, spring, and winter vacations over the last several years.

Based upon my own experiences there are some shops and, more importantly, certain instructors I would recommend and others who I would not. In the process I've run across instructors who were so so, others who were fantastic, and a couple who were so bad we pulled out and went elsewhere.

Other than some summer, live aboard programs I know about I can't say I've yet to come across a "dive school" who truly specializes in teen divers specifically. Due to the nature of the beast dive shops and instructors tend to work with whoever comes through the door. IMO the instructor to student relationship is really what is most important and not all instructors have the patience or ability to relate well with teen agers.

My recommendation to you would be to focus on referrals to specific instructors and then see if the instructors location is of interest to you for a vacation. Even that can be a bit of a challenge at times as some instructors tend to move around a bit...

thank you both very much, the sites look great but i think you make a valid point, when i was learning, i only felt safe because of the instructor and so much of it depended on her. thats great thanks, will have to start a thread about instructor recommendations later in the year, we're putting off booking until we know what financial dammage xmas has done!
thanks guys

If you visit Phuket, I'll recommend marcia aka quero of Gekko Scuba Divers | Phuket Thailand phuket introduced ocean bubble maker to my daughter when she was 8 years old.
She's more than just a PADI instructor - she's a teacher.
Although my daughter got certified Jr. OW in Bali but her first experience with marcia is unforgettable and has laid strong foundation for her to be a good diver. Now at 11, she has logged more than 50 dives at her belt.

What time of year are you planning on going? I would opt for Koh Tao if it is during the school summer holidays. Great place for a family vacation as it is very laid back without many cars. Many good choices to train with.

@Wisnu, love your "She's more than just a PADI instructor - she's a teacher." :) Being a career educator does indeed add a difference. I agree she is very qualified but consider the season as well. If your going during the Phuket season that would be a great option.

Hi! We just had our three kids get certified with Jack's Diving Locker on the Big Island of Hawaii! We were impressed with their thoroughness and safety.
The kids did the PADI eLearning and then we had booked the pool and open water with Jacks for Christmas Break. They had to take a review test and then the instructor went over anything that was missed, to make sure they understood.
We watched the pool diving, they have a pool at the shop and it also has a viewing window in the deep end. Like I said, their instructor, Matt , was very thorough and went through everything once as a demonstration on the surface, then he showed them underwater, and then had them each do it. (there was one other teen, so the class was 4)
Open water dives go off the same boat as the certified divers, so we were able to dive off the same boat on their open water dives. ( Felt a bit bad, our kit was always switched out for us, they had to do all of their own!) Again, super thorough with dive briefings.
They also got to see a lot while they were diving.
All three were so enjoying the diving that we added three more days of diving while we were there. Two shore dives, another morning of boat dives, and the Manta Ray night dive!!( super fantastic night- 17 mantas!)
The staff at the shop were all friendly and helpful and by the end of our trip we felt like part of the family.
We were so pleased, that we came home last week and immediately set about booking Adv Open Water Certification at Jack's for the kids. We have requested the same instructor, Matt B, since he got on really well with our guys. ( we have a super shy 13 yr old who was chatting away with Matt by the end of the first day)

Attachments

• Into the blue!.jpg
    Into the blue!.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 135
Forgot to add, the equipment was all in excellent shape. The kids dive instructor had been with Jack's for about a year, I think. He has been on island and got his dive instructor stuff with Jacks.
If you look on the staff info, you will see that many of the employees have been working with them for a number of years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom