Eight Year Old Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outlawaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed a couple of old threads on this topic. Thought I'd see what everyone had to say.

My daughter turns 8 next month :11: (I'm getting old). Although I am PADI certified I have already enrolled her in SSI's Scuba Rangers (8-10 yr olds). However, I should point out that I looked at ALL the schools (PADI, NAUI, etc) here in the Houston area. The shop I am going through has a large, established Scuba Rangers program. The class (which a sort of club from the kids point of view) start with five hours of one on one PRIVATE instruction and then continues to meet twice a month all year long to practice in the pool. Parents are welcome to dive with the kids in the pool which is suprisingly fun. Upon the instructors approval the kids are allowed to go on open water (lake) dives but only with an instructor as a buddy. Depth is strictly limited to 15 feet. I think the main thing to do is to find a school that specializes in young divers and has an established program. Additionally, I am taking the rescue class for my own peace of mind. Just my two cents.

Thoughts??

I certainly can feel your pain on this one... My daughter just turned 8 yesterday and she's driving me nuts to dive (snorkling above me at Phil Foster's park just isn't cutting it for her anymore). As much as I would love to stuff a reg in her mouth, the mother in me screams "no way"... I'm a little concerned about the 15 feet open water dive you mentioned, seems a little scarey to me. I did all my training with PADI (ya'll behave, you know who you are) and if my IM isn't too outdated, PADI only allows pool sessions at that age, I could be wrong on that one, so you'll have to check it out.
It sounds like your not totally convinced youself on allow your child to do this either (rescue class to feel better)
If it was me, (and it kinda is too) I'd stick with just pool dives for a long while. Bring stuff for her to find in the pool and learn some games to play underwater. She has her entire life to dive in the open, don't rush her just yet. Can you even begin to think about what type of diver she'll become with all that "controlled" enviroment practice..
WOW!!!
just my thoughts, good luck in whatever you decide.

To any of the MD's out there reading, is there any physiological reason I just haven't been able to find on why kids (still growing) shouldn't dive, there must be these age restrictions for a reason other just than the kids being to young to emotionally and mentally understand what their doing.

and it is pool only. The program is set up with a series of Aqua Missions. They begin and are limited to 6 feet max in the pool. As certain skills are mastered, they are allowed to go to 12 feet in the pool. It is full scuba equipment. It is for kids 8-10 years old. They have their own book and have classroom and pool time and even log the dive after the pool session.

Juls

baitedstorm:
I certainly can feel your pain on this one... My daughter just turned 8 yesterday and she's driving me nuts to dive (snorkling above me at Phil Foster's park just isn't cutting it for her anymore). As much as I would love to stuff a reg in her mouth, the mother in me screams "no way"... I'm a little concerned about the 15 feet open water dive you mentioned, seems a little scarey to me. I did all my training with PADI (ya'll behave, you know who you are) and if my IM isn't too outdated, PADI only allows pool sessions at that age, I could be wrong on that one, so you'll have to check it out.
It sounds like your not totally convinced youself on allow your child to do this either (rescue class to feel better)
If it was me, (and it kinda is too) I'd stick with just pool dives for a long while. Bring stuff for her to find in the pool and learn some games to play underwater. She has her entire life to dive in the open, don't rush her just yet. Can you even begin to think about what type of diver she'll become with all that "controlled" enviroment practice..
WOW!!!
just my thoughts, good luck in whatever you decide.

To any of the MD's out there reading, is there any physiological reason I just haven't been able to find on why kids (still growing) shouldn't dive, there must be these age restrictions for a reason other just than the kids being to young to emotionally and mentally understand what their doing.

You are all correct PADI does only allow pool dives. SSI allows open water with an instructor. However, I would not allow my daughter into open water until I was comfortable with her abilities and more importantly her maturity (which may be when she 10 anyway). As I said I would have prefered PADI but SSI has a large established group here in Houston.

P.S. The resucue class is for peace of mind and its on my way to instructor.

Juls64:
and it is pool only. The program is set up with a series of Aqua Missions. They begin and are limited to 6 feet max in the pool. As certain skills are mastered, they are allowed to go to 12 feet in the pool. It is full scuba equipment. It is for kids 8-10 years old. They have their own book and have classroom and pool time and even log the dive after the pool session.

Juls

Juls,
You posted as I was writing my previous post. SSI's Scuba Rangers is set up the same way as Seal Team. As I said I would have preferred PADI but the SSI has a large established group of kids that are in the program and attend the classes (Sessions) every two weeks year round. This helps the kids become EXTREMELY comfortable before turning 10 and working on Jr. OW. Of all the PADI schools I talked to here in Houston only a couple were even certified to teach the Seal Team and they had only taught a couple of kids. My plan is to enter her in the SSI program and then let her switch over into the PADI Jr. OW class when she's ten. If anyone is interested in the program check out SSI's website http://www.scubarangers.com/index2.html

KimLeece, that old thread is what prompted my starting this one. The one thing I found interesting on that thread is that it appeared that many of the individuals that were the most vocal saying kids should be 18 and had no business even in a pool, etc did not appear to have kids of their own.

The bottom line is that as a parent we have the responsibility for doing what we think is best for our children. Our job is to do as much research as possible to ensure that we are making informed decisions.

FWIW I have two very young daughters - they are not going near compressed air until they are at least 12 - and probably more like 14. That's what I think is best for my kids - but wether it's right or not I'm not sure - in any event I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

KimLeece:
FWIW I have two very young daughters - they are not going near compressed air until they are at least 12 - and probably more like 14. That's what I think is best for my kids - but wether it's right or not I'm not sure - in any event I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

I think that all tanks now have burst disks, and if you blow an o ring all it would do it leak out crazy fast. I dont think tanks blow unless you are filling them on hot days. It happened in FLA a couple of years ago, i think. Anway, it is your decision as a parent as to when to start your kids in scuba. I dont have children myself but I know that if I did, I would only introduce it to them when they are ready to take the plunge.

I have 4 kids under 16 years of age, living in my house. I have thought about them diving. For various reasons, we have not pursued it. Snorkeling is going to have to do, for now.
There is a long list of things that children think they are ready to do. And a much shorter list of what they are physically, mentally & emotionally ready for. Your job, as a parent, is to stick to the short list.

Here is the question:
Is a 3rd grader ready, physically, emotionally & mentally to be diving?

Back
Top Bottom