Jet Fins made in Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi there, can you please tell me when you started making Jet Fins in Taiwan? And are they the same and of the same quality/compound etc as those made in the US. Thank you.

I found out the info myself for anyone who's interested. They are not the same as those made in the US, the sizing is different, the foot pockets are larger and the compound is softer, it's like diving with wet cardboard strapped to your feet. Just wished I knew this before I bought them, next time Ill check more closely. That was a waste of almost $200USD. Anyone buying Jets in the future might want to check where they are made.

Last edited:
Overseas manufacturing began just about one year ago. The foot pockets and size dimensions are copied identical to the US versions and the durometer is to be the same. However, L, XL, and XXL are the only sizes available; M and XXXL are only available from the USA.

Overseas manufacturing began just about one year ago. The foot pockets and size dimensions are copied identical to the US versions and the durometer is to be the same. However, L, XL, and XXL are the only sizes available; M and XXXL are only available from the USA.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I cannot speak to other sizes, but the Large USA version and the Large Taiwan version are NOT the same. As I stated above the foot pocket on the Taiwanese version is larger (wider) and they are definitely not the same "durometer". The Taiwanese Large are significantly softer and less rigid, and not just by a little bit.

I dont know if something has changed since the first production run, but perhaps you can get them to send you some sample so you can compare side by side.

I had the chance to do so again today in a shop which had both models. The owner of the dive store (Japan) went on to tell me that the Japanese market market does not like the Taiwanese version and that he has a hard time selling them. He predicted that within one year Scuba Pro will again be selling the USA version in Japan. He said it's a big problem. This was his opinion so I cannot comment. It's possible that the reasons the Taiwanese Jets are not popular here are more political based, Im not sure.

But again the two Large I had seen side by side are not the same.

And again this is not a comment on the quality of the Taiwanese Jets, just that the pair I have are not the same.

---------- Post Merged on August 29th, 2012 at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous Post was on August 28th, 2012 at 11:57 PM ----------

Given what you have said then I can only assume I got a pair from a bad batch, that being the case is there anything I can do about it? Id be a little upset at having to buy another pair just to get the fin I was expecting to get in the first place, especially as they cost me $200USD.

Any assistance or advice you can offer in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Update:

Ok i'll assume ScubaPro are going to offer no assistance.

I found some made in the US Large Jet fins online here in Japan so bought them. I have sat here for sometime comparing them at my leisure.

1) They are not the same compound, the Taiwanese Jets are made from a much softer compound. They don't look like they're made from the same material.
2) They are not the same "durometer", the US Jets are significantly stiffer.
3) The foot pocket is wider on the Taiwanese Jets 11.6cm vs 10.6cm at widest point (outside edge)

So if your looking for a soft floppy US Jet clone with a wider pocket go for the Taiwanese model if not avoid them like the plague.

To ScubaPro, you might want to check the Taiwanese model before posting as the information you are providing is incorrect, stating that they are the same when they are most definitely not.

Now I have an almost $400USD set of Jet fins, I should have given up after the first pair and cut my loses. Still my fault I guess I chose to buy the second pair.

This is the last ScubaPro purchase I will ever make.

Last edited:
I was having a hard time letting this go so took it up with the ScubaPro dealer where I bought the Taiwanese Jets, who in turn took it up with ScubaPro Japan who admitted they are aware that the US and Taiwanese versions are different, "not as thick" was the phrase they used. A different line than the ScubaPro rep here on SB who said in this thread that they were the same. Cut a ling story short they took the fins back and refunded my money. It's a little disappointing and worrying that ScubaPro seems to have different opinions/information about these fins. But opinions aside I know first hand they ARE NOT THE SAME.

I was having a hard time letting this go so took it up with the ScubaPro dealer where I bought the Taiwanese Jets, who in turn took it up with ScubaPro Japan who admitted they are aware that the US and Taiwanese versions are different, "not as thick" was the phrase they used. A different line than the ScubaPro rep here on SB who said in this thread that they were the same. Cut a ling story short they took the fins back and refunded my money. It's a little disappointing and worrying that ScubaPro seems to have different opinions/information about these fins. But opinions aside I know first hand they ARE NOT THE SAME.

I just add my experience with manufacturing goods in China / Taiwan. I have repeated a few times (not by my choice)
- They promise, "we build the same as US, but cheaper".
- The first run actually does come back and is good quality (they order good materials, cherry pick the best parts and are extremely careful for initial buy off)
- You are elated, the visions of fat profits and an easy life float though your head for a month or so.
- You start production and the quality falls off quickly and the normal cost savings practices (cheap material, shoddy workmanship) of that society kick in (Price>>>>>Quality)
- You attempt proactive QC measures, reject lots and try to push them back to producing the same quality they did for the first run because you know they can do it
- Eventually, they raise their prices and you also realize how much time you are wasting trying to control their production quality, if your lucky.
- In the end, if they are good enough you settle for less quality and the extra profit, or you bring back the manufacturing to a location where you can control the quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom