Are ScubaPro 2013 transmitters ? better than the older models?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaronad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I consider buying a 1year old /2013 Galileo Luna Computer with a transmitter.

I've read reviews from 2011/12 about problems with the transmitter? that constantly was losing signal ?
Divers claimed that you must keep the transmitter on the same side as the computer to avoid problems...

Does Scubapro fix the problem on 2013 / new models ?

And :

- Can you update the firmware version without the IRDA?

- Does the USB INFRARED INTERFACE (IRDA) , is part of a new
computer pack ? or you have to buy it separately ?

Many THX :)

The new transmitters have a larger battery and do work better.

THX !

How do I know / make sure if it is a new transmitter ?
Does it look different ?
different model No. etc?

If you google Galileo Transmitter in images you will see two different ones. The old ones use a matte plastic and the new ones are shiny https://www.google.com/search?q=scu...P38AHVuIDAAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1600&bih=805

you can also carefully open it. The new battery is cylindrical like a small penlight cell, while the old was a button cell like a large watch battery.

Ok

Does the new model has a round Circumference ?
And the old model has two sides flat?

Can it be that the scuba.com uses an old model photo?
ScubaPro Uwatec Galileo Sol / Luna / Smart Tec / Smart Z Transmitter 05.055.020 with reviews at scuba.com

Ive been using my Galileo Luna with new transmitter for 2yrs now....Never encountered a single problem.

I've got the "new" transmitter. My experience is that battery life on the transmitter is horrible. Start getting low battery warnings after 20 dives or so. The longer time progresses, the more disconnects. They're only temporary, but the problem of intermittent connectivity issues has definitely not been solved by the new transmitter. Mine is just over a year old.. maybe 18 months. A week or two ago I changed the transmitter battery for the fourth time.

If the older ones were worse, that explains some of the animosity I see on this site regarding hoseless air integration.

As for the irda, I got a $20 USB irda adapter on amazon. The IRDA computer integration is a bright point for galileo in my opinion. Not only are dive log downloads easy and reliable (compared to other computers like petrel) but you can fully configure the computer's settings via PC using the IRDA.

Last edited:
Hey Kelemvor,

I know that few of "older" (about two years ago) Scubapro transmitters had this problem of issuing a "T1 battery low" message prematurely. In reality the battery was just fine and full. You may want to check your battery with a tester to see if this is the case. If so, take it back to a Scubapro dealer to get replaced. You should still be under warranty if you bought it less than two years ago and are the original owner. Scubapro is generally very good about warranty replacements.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom