How to hook up the Galileo LUNA to my PC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I guess I need to go out and buy a USB IR receiver? Pretty stupid IMO, this is a $1,000 dive computer and in 2014 IR has been replaced for a looooooong time. Pretty disappointed I have to go out and buy something else. Please tell me I am missing something.

Ya, it kinda sucks. I think I found a USB IR receiver on Amazon for like $10. I don't mind that the Luna uses IR. It actually makes sense since it would be more waterproof. I just hate that it didn't come with one and I had to buy it separately.

Only one I'm seeing is $24 not including shipping. Would you mind posting which one you got? Do you have Windows 7?

The ScubaPro model ($80) comes with Win7 drivers. So I'm guessing any IRDA adapter will work also. Amazon.com: Scubapro USB Smart Infrared Device for Scuba Computers: Sports & Outdoors

This one looks like a sure thing - Amazon.com : GearMo® IR778 USB Smart Infrared Device for UWATEC dive computer works on Windows and MAC : Diving Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

If you scroll down to Customers who viewed this Item - there's about 6 others listed in the $20-40 range.

Or google this: ir778 usb irda adapter

You guys are missing the big picture. With any other dive computer you have no choice but to buy a proprietary cable from the computer manufacturer. These things are always $120+. An IRDA can be had for under $20 if you look. The bad news I see is that the newer Uwatec computers are moving away from the IRDA and toward proprietary cables...just like everybody else. After you get past the extra cost, there is then the issue that mechanical connections with an underwater device are notoriously unreliable. You need to have Q-tips and alcohol in your save-a-dive kit in order to clean the contacts whenever you want to connect. That's never an issue with an IRDA.

You guys are missing the big picture. With any other dive computer you have no choice but to buy a proprietary cable from the computer manufacturer. These things are always $120+. An IRDA can be had for under $20 if you look. The bad news I see is that the newer Uwatec computers are moving away from the IRDA and toward proprietary cables...just like everybody else. After you get past the extra cost, there is then the issue that mechanical connections with an underwater device are notoriously unreliable. You need to have Q-tips and alcohol in your save-a-dive kit in order to clean the contacts whenever you want to connect. That's never an issue with an IRDA.

You don't need Q-Tips for Bluetooth ;P

I found one at a local computer discount shop called Discount Electronics for around 12 bucks. Worked well when I had XP and now with Win7.

I also like the Galileo's IR interface after using Suunto's wired. The IR dongle is available generic cheap, it's really fast and dependable.

Not so common now, but when these came out a lot of laptops had IR built in...my work laptop has it. That says a little about how old that laptop is, doesn't it?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom