Classic Stabilizing Jacket - size and buoyancy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoumi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am located in Asia, and am wanting to get a new BCD. I used a rental Scubapro classic stabilizing jacket, and like it. However I cannot remember the size.

The model I am interested here in Japan is the "Classic Zero G" (SCUBAPRO - Classic Zero G)

classic_zero_g.jpg

I tried an 'S' size in the shop, but it is too loose. This is the size chart (from the Japanese web site, translated):

scubapro_jp_size_chart.JPG

I am tall (very long legs, short torso) at 173cm, but its mostly my long legs. I am also very skinny. I weigh 57kg. The 'S' size bcd is too sloppy, I think because its designed for a longer torso.

The XS size is a good fit, but of course the buoyancy on the size chart says the weight range is 40-50kg. Safety is of course the top priority for me.

However, in the Japanese (and US-site English also) "classic unlimited/classic stabilizing jacket section of the BCD manual, it states that the buoyancy/lift for both the XS and S size is the same - 140N, 31.5lbs, and maximum tank size 18L.

classic_zero_g_jp.JPG

us_bcd_manual_classic_jacket.JPG

If both the XS and S size provide the same buoyancy, and the XS is a very good fit, is it possible/safe to buy the XS size even though I weigh 57kg, (which is outside the XS weight range according to the size chart)?? According to the BCD manual (both Japanese and US BCD manuals), both XS and S sizes provide the same buoyancy.

To slightly confuse matters, the US-American website (SCUBAPRO - CLASSIC) contradicts the US-American BCD manual. On the website it says the XS size has a max lift capacity of only 121N, 27lbs, max tank size 15L, but the BCD manual of course says XS is 140N, 31.5lbs, max tank 18L.

us_website_classic jacket_tech_info.JPG

I really like this BCD, and if the buoyancy as stated in both the Japanese and US BCD manual of both the XS and S size of the classic stabilizing jacket is the same (140N, 31.5lbs), I would like to buy an XS size if it is safe to do so, as it fits me perfectly.

If both the XS and S size provide the same buoyancy, and the XS is a very good fit, is it possible/safe to buy the XS size even though I weigh 57kg, (which is outside the XS weight range according to the size chart)??

Thanks for your help with this question!

Hi,

The manual is the accurate source- we will have the website error corrected. At 57kg in most waters you should have no problem in an XS. The size charts are a guide only.

Happy Diving!

kateSCUBAPRO

Hi,

I am located in Asia, and am wanting to get a new BCD. I used a rental Scubapro classic stabilizing jacket, and like it. However I cannot remember the size.

The model I am interested here in Japan is the "Classic Zero G" (SCUBAPRO - Classic Zero G)

View attachment 191138

I tried an 'S' size in the shop, but it is too loose. This is the size chart (from the Japanese web site, translated):

View attachment 191133

I am tall (very long legs, short torso) at 173cm, but its mostly my long legs. I am also very skinny. I weigh 57kg. The 'S' size bcd is too sloppy, I think because its designed for a longer torso.

The XS size is a good fit, but of course the buoyancy on the size chart says the weight range is 40-50kg. Safety is of course the top priority for me.

However, in the Japanese (and US-site English also) "classic unlimited/classic stabilizing jacket section of the BCD manual, it states that the buoyancy/lift for both the XS and S size is the same - 140N, 31.5lbs, and maximum tank size 18L.

View attachment 191135

View attachment 191136

If both the XS and S size provide the same buoyancy, and the XS is a very good fit, is it possible/safe to buy the XS size even though I weigh 57kg, (which is outside the XS weight range according to the size chart)?? According to the BCD manual (both Japanese and US BCD manuals), both XS and S sizes provide the same buoyancy.

To slightly confuse matters, the US-American website (SCUBAPRO - CLASSIC) contradicts the US-American BCD manual. On the website it says the XS size has a max lift capacity of only 121N, 27lbs, max tank size 15L, but the BCD manual of course says XS is 140N, 31.5lbs, max tank 18L.

View attachment 191137

I really like this BCD, and if the buoyancy as stated in both the Japanese and US BCD manual of both the XS and S size of the classic stabilizing jacket is the same (140N, 31.5lbs), I would like to buy an XS size if it is safe to do so, as it fits me perfectly.

If both the XS and S size provide the same buoyancy, and the XS is a very good fit, is it possible/safe to buy the XS size even though I weigh 57kg, (which is outside the XS weight range according to the size chart)??

Thanks for your help with this question!

Back
Top Bottom