Water in pressure gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VividOceans

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi there,

I have water in my pressure gauge. It does work at the moment.

How can this happen and is it reparable? Can I still use it or will it damage my first stage?

It's only 6 months old with about 40 dives.:depressed:

I'm on a tiny island with no access to repair technicians.

Thank you in advance.

Water gets in the gauge usually due to flooding in the first. Soaking a reg not on a tank will do it. You can't repair the gauge. If you're on an island it's likely saltwater. It will start to eat the inside of the gauge. Throw it away and replace it. Not a matter of if it will fail but when.

what he said and confirmed by the other thread you started this morning. It could have also gotten in by a damaged seal or potentially a manufacturer defect. There is at least one scubapro shop on Utila that should be able to evaluate for warranty.

Thank you Jim for reminding people that first stages should always be soaked while connected to a tank and pressurized. This seems to need constant reinforcement. That little dangly thing is called a dust cap, not a water cap.

Water gets in the gauge usually due to flooding in the first. Soaking a reg not on a tank will do it. You can't repair the gauge. If you're on an island it's likely saltwater. It will start to eat the inside of the gauge. Throw it away and replace it. Not a matter of if it will fail but when.

Jim I don't disagree with your feeling the gauge is no longer safe. I am curious how water would get into the face of the gauge via the first stage and hose. If it could do that then the air from the first stage (high pressure of course) would get into the face area and immediately blow out the face (clear part you look through).

The only logical explanation I have is a leak in the o-ring seal between the face and the body of the gauge. Which would NOT happen by soaking a regulator not on a tank, but just by using OR soaking a gauge with a faulty face o-ring.

I agree, the water does not get in because the regulator was soaked unpressurized. Something was damaged and water got in. The gage will work for a few days or a little longer (depending on salt or freshwater), but it will soon fail and needs to be replaced. I soak my regulator unpressurized after every trip and I do not (normally) find water in my spg.

It did not register the part about water being in the face. Problem with seeing and responding too quickly. I just took it that water got in the gauge. Under the face, yes something is no longer sealed. In any case the gauge is toast.

Back
Top Bottom