Standards Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauly.hazards

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was talking to a SDI Instructor about the pool the shop he works for uses. When discussing entries he said the facility the pool is at doesnt allow doing entries with scuba gear on. I asked him "So how do you get the entries done with students?" He said they just do them using Mask, Snorkle, and Fins.....NO Gear. That struck me as reall odd, so I was wondering if they were breaking standards by certifying student that had not fully done these skills.

The entries can be taught and practiced in open water.

we teach entries without scuba gear on first. Our pool allows entries with gear, but we do practice them at OWT, don't put a whole lot of emphasis on anything other than giant stride since that's what you usually see on boats. They still have to perform the rolls and the mid atlantic flop, but giant stride is what they get used to

Many pool facilities will not allow scuba students to enter the water using full scuba equipment in fear they may damage the pool tile. In this situation the SDI Instructor has the latitude to conduct entries and exits using snorkeling equipment only. While there is s bit of difference performing the exercise without scuba (mainly the weight) the student can still experience the technique and steps involved with performing these skills. Depending on where they complete their open water dives they may perform these same entries with full scuba equipment several times.
Therefore, the SDI Instructor did not violate and training standard by conducting the entries with snorkeling equipment only.

Thanks for the reply and info. I'm going to be working with this shop starting next month. It makes me more configurable Knowing the answers before I start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom