Student materials for a SDI OW course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pro Dive Davao

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
If I became a SDI OWSI what training material am I required to supply to the students that they keep.

In other words are they allowed to borrow the dives centers material just for the duration of the course.

Thank you

Scott

Your students use the on line learning course they are not required to have a Book per-say. Some like to have it anyway. The on line OW student kit contains, student folder, sign-in directions code sheet, sticker and Dive Log/Journal.

When we teach the book Nitrox and other courses, each student should have either own study materials/books/manual.

Using the On-Line courses saves an amazing amount of review time for the students and instructors.

To be honest when I added SDI I did not realize just how much time and $$ I'd end up saving vs the other agency I teach.

One thing I do with couples is to allow them to share a text if they like for the OW course. I have found that this actually helps them to develop communication and planning skills!

They need their own work book, tables, log book, but on log books if they want to put it in a notebook they supply it's fine with me. You can buy just what you need for the course and show students that you're not out to gouge them.

As for time if they do on line learning I don't reduce classroom time. I just add material to the course and cover more areas like gas management, planning in detail, and other items that are inherent to our local conditions.

Thank you for your reply

So Sdi do not require me to buy 1 set of teaching/educational material for each and every student. I can if I wish all say a family of 3 to study together and then take the final exam and just buy the PIC from SDI - is that what you are saying?

Scott

There is no pic to buy. You submit the certs on line. you need to look at the materials and see what you need. For a family of three I would suggest to them that they get two books, three workbooks, and three tables. I'd let them know about the log books but not insist on them. I have my own custom ones I use for myself. I'd also supplement with my own handouts and a copy of my book is included for each student in the class price. Once the course is complete you submit the info and they are done.

---------- Post added October 13th, 2014 at 08:48 PM ----------

Bob is right, sdi is so much cheaper to teach, though not as low as the sei classes I offer. Plus you can add any material you see fit.

In reference to the PIC, as Jim said you can submit on-line, similar to other agencies. SDI allows PICs or certifications to be handled in 3 ways. The PIC, the Cert form that can be faxed or mailed and also the on-line processing technique.

Establishing an account with SDI or processing using a credit card helps with your certs processing efforts.

As far as materials go, I'd suggest following the requirements set forth in the Standards/Procedures for a given course.

There are various options from buying materials and what works for one may not work for another. Nice to be able to get a manual, folder etc all individually and/or you can get combos of items in a Kit if you wish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom