Diving "Modern" with "Vintage" Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just bought a DA Aquamaster off E-bay. In the late 60's I dove one and loved the quiet. Well, now that I've started diving again, I'd like to dive "modern" (BC/drysuit/octo/air integrated computer) using my Aquamaster. The question is, How?

How can I hang those things onto my "new" reg? Is there a way to "split" the hookah port to support BC/drysuit/octo? Will getting a "banjo" work for the AI Computer? Yes, I want to have my cake and eat it too! (I've never thought it reasonable to HAVE a cake but be unable to eat it!)

So far, the best "solution" is to run my BC/suit/octo off a pony but that doesn't answer the Computer issue.

Check out vintage scuba's forum. There is a project underway to address some of your issues in terms of milling new parts for double hose regs.

There are also adapters available to use the hookah port to supply an octo and/or inflator.

A Banjo fitting will resolve the computer issue but they are fairly rare, sell for about $100 when you can find one and they require a long yoke which can also be hard to find if your reg did not come with one. For my '59 vintage DA I machined the yoke from a late 60's Aualung single stage reg to fit my DA and achieve the long yoke effect.

Here are a couple of vintage equipment diving message boards were this is discussed regularly:
http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/index.php
http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/index.cgi#general
You should also join us there.

Here is a link were you can get a reproduction banjo:
http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/hoses.html
More are coming.

Here are some LP adapters for $10. There are some nicer ones also available (take a look at the Phoenix prototype picture below).
http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_17

Here is a link to the Phoenix Royal Aqua Master project.
http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135
Look at pages 5, 6 and 12 of the thread to see some pictures of the Phoenix RAM prototype.

I dive one of my Royal Aqua Master about 99% of the time and most of the time with a SPG, a BC, an Octopus, and often with a drysuit.

Here is a picture of my original 1971 Royal Aqua Master with LP adapters and a banjo adapter for the pressure gauge.
luis_at_twin_lights.jpg

Phoenix Royal Aqua Master prototype:
RDSCN2968.jpg

You can also buy an H-Valve and run a modern reg off the second valve. Just make sure to get one that positions the extra valve over your right shoulder so it is inline with the BCD.

Alternatively, you can buy the hooka adapters mentioned above and get a tank valve that has a high pressure port built into it. You will need an adapter to adjust the HP port size to fit your wireless transmitter, but they are only a few bucks.

I don't run an air integrated computer. The setup I am finishing up right now is a pair of twin 45s using an older Sherwood manifold, which has a second outlet post. I run a Conshelf single hose off of it, which gives me the octo/BC/SPG, so I don't have to monkey around with banjos or octo adapters on my DAAMs or my Healthways. On my single tanks, I am converting them all to Dacor valves with built in hp ports, which solves the SPG problem, but leaves me without lp ports when using my Healthways regs. I just have to manually inflate my BC at that point, and dive with a buddy who can buddy breathe. With the DAAMs, I can simply add the octo adapter and a splitter to complete the package.

Peter Guy:
Yes, I want to have my cake and eat it too! (I've never thought it reasonable to HAVE a cake but be unable to eat it!)

The expression refers to wanting to have your cake after you've already eaten it. You can have it or you can eat it, but after you've eaten it, it's gone, you can't do both.

Peter Guy:
I just bought a DA Aquamaster off E-bay. In the late 60's I dove one and loved the quiet. Well, now that I've started diving again, I'd like to dive "modern" (BC/drysuit/octo/air integrated computer) using my Aquamaster. The question is, How?

How can I hang those things onto my "new" reg? Is there a way to "split" the hookah port to support BC/drysuit/octo? Will getting a "banjo" work for the AI Computer? Yes, I want to have my cake and eat it too! (I've never thought it reasonable to HAVE a cake but be unable to eat it!)

So far, the best "solution" is to run my BC/suit/octo off a pony but that doesn't answer the Computer issue.

:shakehead

Poor, poor Lynne. Peter, you are evil.:D

Ah, Dave, you understand . . .

dherbman:
:shakehead

Poor, poor Lynne. Peter, you are evil.:D

That was the first thing that popped into my mind as well. I guess it's true. Opposites attract.

I am so glad for you Peter that you have rediscovered the ART and Science of diving.

Ypu can dive vintage or modern using your DA. I do it all the time. The information and links given by the Amazing Luis you will find most useful.

In modern configurations double tanks are to increase air supply, in a vintage configuration small doubles were used to provide balance, trim and position the regulator correctly. I use the old Sherwood manifold with double posts and swap the post to the left side to reverse mount a single hose MR12 (also vintage and better than most any new junk). This way it provides redundancy, inflation duties, and serves as an octapus. Other times I dive a single 80 and use a very similar setup to the one Luis uses. I would dump the air integrated thingy and use a for real SPG. I use a hookah adpater from VDH, a long (and heavy) yoke from VSS and my buddy Broxton Chuck's wonderful banjo adapter for my SPG.

When you mix and match as you propose you will run into problems, little ones. For example,many tanks valves are to thick to accept the banjo using the typical heavy yokes. The "long" yokes generally always work but they are not good for much beyond 3,000 psi. Both long and heavy style yokes are avaiable from VDH and VSS. Of course, some late model Royal Aqua Masters such as my best RAM (Royal Aqua Master) came with a heavy yoke for 3500 psi service.

Oh, by the way, Dave of VSS has some new and wonderful super stretch hoses for your DA!!!

Vintage--the term gets over used, you can reinact another era or as I do myself at an earlier time but don't trip on the word vintage. There is no reason you cannot run a wing/bp and use a double hose---not because it is vintage but because it is BETTER.

You may as you explore other vintage dive gear discover that oval masks really are BETTER also and that a BC is about useless and worthless in warm water diving.

Glad to have you aboard. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom