Fitting Nauticam 45 degree viewfinder to RDX550 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drcolyn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Canon T2i in RDX550 housing and think it is the best DSLR setup for it’s price.

The only thing I find wanting is the viewfinder. Since the camera only has a small mirror prism viewfinder it is border line to begin with.
If you add the standard 0.66x viewfinder of the housing and the additional eye point distance because of the mask it makes composition through the viewfinder a lottery and seeing where the focus point is totally impossible.
From the reviews I have read the addition of a 45 degree viewfinder is will help a lot and it is 15 000 ZAR cheaper than a Canon 7D in a MDX housing.
The 45 degree angle will also help me a lot to get macro shots in small spaces or low on the bottom.

I wanted to fit a Sea and Sea 45 degree viewfinder but it is not available at my South African Sea and Sea agent and Sea and Sea only list the straight viewfinder as compatible with RDX housings.
The Nauticam 45 degree viewfinder is available in South Africa and they make an adapter ring that supposedly fit all Sea and Sea housings (except the MDX300 for some reason)
I read a horror story of somebody with an Ikelite housing bought the Nautican viewfinder and then discovered that it does not fit the specific Ikelite housing he has.
At almost 11 000 ZAR I will cry.

Has anybody successfully fitted a 45 degree Nauticam viewfinder to their RDX housing?

I have the nauticam 45 degree viewfinder in my RDX100D housing. It did require that I made some modification and I made a custom viewfinder adapter. I also previously made a adapter to put the same viewfinder in my ikelite housing. I would be glad to help you with this install.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom