YS-03 Strobe kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve A

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking of getting the YS-03 Strobe kit for my Olympus tg-3 and pt-056 housing. Is this set up robust and reliable? Is it ideal for beginners? Will I get decent results with a bit of practice?
I have a tovatec galaxy video light that I am going to try on a short arm. Its up to 2500 lumens. Would this give good results for pictures as well as video or do I need the strobe kit?
My diving consists of holiday diving in tropical waters ie. red sea with good vis.
Cheers Steve A

It'll work fine with the TG-3, you could use your light on top of the housing with a mount for video, but it won't take the place of a strobe.

You might want to read our handbook:

Choosing a Lighting System

Choosing-Lighting-Sys.jpg

Cheers Jack that was my initial thoughts but watching the backscatter promo video for the tg-3 they seem to get great pics using a video light but most are close up/macro shots.
The only thing worrying me is when I checked on this forum there seemed a lot of unhappy sea and sea customers with strobes that had battery discharging problems. As I am just a holiday diver its quite an investment for me but I don't want to use it for a holiday and six months time have a problem with it so reliability is a big factor for me.
I haven't seen any reports on the ys-03 strobe kit yet as I believe its quite a new product?
Just read the article too which is a great help to people like me with a limited understanding, thanks again.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2014 at 03:16 PM ----------

Anyone using this strobe kit combination care to comment? cheers Steve

Steve, it is possible to get good photos with a video light, but not in every situation.

IMHO you are much better off with a dedicated strobe like the YS-03, or even better the more expensive YS-01 will also will allow you to set the strobe power manually.

Good luck!

Scott Gietler
Thinking of getting the YS-03 Strobe kit for my Olympus tg-3 and pt-056 housing. Is this set up robust and reliable? Is it ideal for beginners? Will I get decent results with a bit of practice?
I have a tovatec galaxy video light that I am going to try on a short arm. Its up to 2500 lumens. Would this give good results for pictures as well as video or do I need the strobe kit?
My diving consists of holiday diving in tropical waters ie. red sea with good vis.
Cheers Steve A

Cheers waiting for the strobe to arrive. I only get time in the water on vacation so simpler the better for me.

Back
Top Bottom