MDX-D90, please!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mariozi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks!!!

I have been a great S&S user since 1999 when I started UWPhoto with a Motormarine IIex camera. I still have my NX-80 housing and a Nikon F80s, and I love to shoot slides with this camera...

I just sold my DX-D80 housing, and I am waiting for the Sea&Sea housing for the Nikon D90, please tell me you will make the housing for her so that I can buy this camera!!!

And please tell me that is going to be an MDX-DX90, just like the MDX-D300 but smaller.

Please...
Marcelo Mariozi

HI Marcelo-
Currently, information on a D90 housing is unavailable. Typically, once a camera is announced by Nikon/Canon it may take sometime to initiate development. SEA&SEA should be showing a MDX-D700 housing at DEMA. If a housing for the D90 is made, information will be released on the website.

I noticed Sea&Sea discontinued the DX-D80 on 10/10. Hopefully, that is a sign that the sucessor DX-D90 is comming soon.

It has been like that for a while.
I think they did it, because they needed production-line space for the new MDX housings.
I hope they can spare some of that space for the MDX-D90.
Anyway, cross you fingers for DEMA.

HI-
Just back from DEMA and here is a brief overview of intended housings in the near future/Spring 2009. The D90 camera will more than likely go into our new RDX polycarbonate line, MDX-D700 and MDX-5DMKII to be released in the spring. Of course, this information can change and delivery/availability is subject to regional distributor and agent. That is all the info we have at this time! Stay tuned and we will update as more information becomes available.

I got breif update from Sea&Sea

" Sea&Sea have plans to release a housing in 2009. A release date has not beenset. Any updates will be added to the SEA&SEA website."

Bad move IMHO... I really don't understand. I love S&S equipment, but it seems they don't care much for the prosumer or advanced amateur range. I am a strong believer that lenses are more important than bodies in all kinds of photography, even underwater. And never invested much in bodies but a lot in lenses, bodies need only to be quick to operate, and for uwphoto the main thing about that is having the 2 main controls like the D80, D90... F80 for speed and aperture.

But since the amazing NX-80 housing, that I have just dive with last week (since I sold my DX-D80, waiting for a MDX-D90) S&S failed to give prosumers a nice all aluminium housing!!! The MDXs are the best housing S&S has ever made, the D90 will have a good number of users and S&S is missing the opportunity to be the BEST HOUSING MAKER for the D90 going for the new RDX format. And to dominate the this entry-level market now is very close to dominate the whole market in half a decade.

One of the best things about uw housings are: small size (like the MDX-D300), sturdiness (like MDX-D300), finishing touches (like the MDX-D300). Now S&S comes with a housing for a smaller camera (D90) that is even bigger than the MDX-D300, less sturdy, and of course, the acrylic back will not have the same finishing touch that the acrylic back on the MDX-D300...
And with 2 optical cables??? I don't think it is a smart idea to shoot my flash inside my housing with the Nikkor AF-D 10.mm inside my S&S Optical Dome... light is a lot harder to control than water (that is why professional flutes are tuned with light meters to check if the holes close in a right way, and not water!).

RDX-D60.jpg

RDX format is perfectly fitted for the D60, where more than likely will have owners shooting with lenses like 18-135mm under the wide flat port. But the D90 is another story, it is a camera that allows people to grow and develop their skills, and to add a good deal of equipment, as a dome port.

If the D90 housing really comes in a RDX format, I will not only NOT buy one (my RDX-D90 will rot on the shop), but I will not recommend it also to my friends and students, and for myself I will actually wait for a better camera... let's say a D800 with 24Mp FX sensor that lets me shoot with the 10.5mm at a 10Mp crop, or a D400 with 16 or 24Mp DX sensor with movie capability and an MDX housing. In fact, I will probably buy another used DX-D80 housing just to wait for the storm to pass.

If you have any contact with Japan, please send them my e-mail. I have lost Mr.Koda's e-mail address, he really helped me once with my super-macro set-up!!!

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up.

Dear Marcelo,

A lot of info........thanks a lot. I am presently shooting with a D50 in a S&S housing and while havinga D80 waited too long to buy the housing. I saw the D90 cominga and basically waited for the housing. I agree with your comments. I am now left in limbo. Seems Subal still makes the D80 housing and I am looking into that one now. But, like you, servicing is the most important and it seems that Subal has agents in both Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Perhaps S&S sees reason.......

I am still contemplating the possibility of buying a "new" DX-D80 housing.
I think I can find one in Singapore or maybe in E-bay.

My dilemma now is the following,
I have sold my DX-D80 and some equipment so I have money for a new body and housing.
I wanted a DX body that could "die" with me, because I planned to add an FX body and housing in a couple of years from now, so that I would end up with 2 digital settings plus my film setting (Nikon F80s on S&S NX-80 housing). This is great for everything I like: travel, competition and teaching.
My options are the following:
- buy another DX-D80 housing, but I didn't want to "die" with the D80.
- buy the RDX-D90 housing, but I would end up having to buy more ports for it (I would keep my ports for the film and MDX housing), worse solution.
- buy the D300 and MDX-D300, this option is getting better and better now :eek:P
- buy the D700 and go now for an FX body, impossible because I need a 24Mp FX body, to get a 10Mp picture if I go underwater with tha 10.5mm/2.8.

I think I will sit on the money until March 2009 and see what happens...
By then I will have a better view of the "future".

If you need help in finding a DX-D80 for you, send me a private e-mail, I will see what I can get.

Back
Top Bottom