NEW X-type is not worth the money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So I recently bought one of these x-type mouth pieces and I must say my initial impressions were not that great after receiving it. After looking at the design of the x, I was worried the interior wings or pieces of the x that would sit on the inside of the teeth were very very tiny and would not wrap around to the inside of the teeth and give you a good secure fit like the older version, believe they were called the sport. I was also worried that when molding the mouth piece that the interior x-tabs would fold down and create a crevice/crack where germs/bacteria can grow.

Well I figured I would try it out as I ended up liking my old seacure mouthpiece and thought I might as well give it a shot. Well I did and I must say this is the worst fitting version of the seacures I have tried to date. They are not very secure in ones mouth (no this is not the first time I have molded a mouth piece, many years of rugby and a few older seacure mouth pieces under the belt). This is the first moldable mouth piece that will not securely stay in ones mouth unless your clamped down on it. The older version one could relax their jawand the mouthpiece would stay put and not move or pop out (I was using it on a BOV for a rebreather, much heavier then a standard reg), this version if I tip or look around to fast with a relaxed jaw and it begins to want to pop out. The tabs also folded over on one another and can be easily separated with ones fingers, basically they provide a nice secure place for germs to multiply in without fear of being easily rinsed/cleaned out by normal gear rinsing techniques.

This new version of the seacure mouthpiece IMO is a failure. I will say one thing though is that it is comfortable in the mouth, however I and many others I know put seacure mouthpieces on their reg/dsv/bov so that it sits securely in ones mouth with minimal pressure on the mouthpiece, which allows us to easily do 2-3 hrs dives without suffering from a sore jaw, this is not capable of being done with the x-type version.

I'm sure I will take some flak for this but these x-type mouth pieces are fit for the pit not ones mouth. Thankfully I did not throw my 4 year old one out like I though I did. It should fit my new gear maybe with a little stretching and aqua seal, but it has provided me with years of secureness and will continue to do so for a few more years.

Normally I would not post something in a manufactures forum bad mouthing their product (yes i have in the past with DUI), but I have grown to like seacure mouthpieces on my rebreathers and this version of their mouthpiece is literally fit for the pit and should be removed from the shelves.

regards

Steve

I tend to agree, however this is my first seacure, the molding is nice and feels snug, but the pressure needed on this thing is next level. I have to bite down really hard the entire time, sure its molded to my teeth a hard bite the entire dive makes my jaw ache.

I followed the instructions carefully so I'm certain I've done it correctly (I've also used many boil and bite mouthguards for sport) but my mouth is almost completely closed in order to hold this thing in place and it feels like I'm breathing through my teeth.

I am glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I wish they would improve them for use on a BOV, I really love my first SeaCure but hate the X-type.

Yeah seems to me like all they did was make the orifice the size of the apeks mouth pieces and then marketed it as good for a rebreather/bov without factoring in the extra weight from the dsv/biv/loop

Regardless, I am back to using my old seacure mouthpiece and it is working fantastic and has 5 yrs on it now and I hope to get another 4-5 out of it.

Regards

Steve

I'll never waste my money on this crap again.

I picked up a Mares Jax and its exactly what the seacure type-x should be. It has nice thick bite wings and uses a retainer when molding so that you can't bite too hard.

Very happy, and my seacure found a new home in the trash.

I use the Aqua Lung Comfo-Bite. It's not specifically moldable but doesn't need to be IMO. It's comfortable and you don't need to bite down. Also the Mares & SeaCure are way more expensive. The Comfo-Bite is $10.

A simple question: are all of new Seacure mouthpieces "X model" regardless being type I-II-II-IV?

I'm trying to buy a type IV for my Golem gear BOV but I'm afraid to get a wrong one.

Thank you in advance

A simple question: are all of new Seacure mouthpieces "X model" regardless being type I-II-II-IV?

I'm trying to buy a type IV for my Golem gear BOV but I'm afraid to get a wrong one.

Thank you in advance

Yes, our latest model, the improved design "X Type" is all we have sold for over 2 years. The size 4, which is the correct size for your Golem gear BOV, as well as the size 5 that fits Poseidon regulators, were not available in the previous models, so if you order a size 4 you will be buying an X Type.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom