Using a Vivitar camera in a Sea Life housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
This came up on a thread on the manufactures forum, but I thot I'd ask about it here. Anyone does this...?

Actually you can "flash" a Vivitar 5340s and it becomes a DC-500 with all the same settings and options.

Instructions for "flashing the bios" for upgrades is in the DC-500 manual. If you have not done this for your DC-500, you should - definately improves operation, especially with a 1 GB card.

I bought a 5340s a little more than a year ago and set it up as a spare since both my wife each have a DC-500 - but have not seen any for sale in about a year.

I am getting ready to upgrade from my DC-500 and will be selling it shortly. However, I'm keeping the spare camera for her system. Make me an offer.
I checked the manual for "bios" finding nothing and went thru all of the hits for "flash" with no info on this. Do you mean "Firmware"...?

[c]http://www.sealife-cameras.com/service/firmware.html
[/c]
The firmware on my DC500 is 112PIE so I guess I am up to date. I did just order a used Vivitar 5340s I found in hopes of doing this, and it sounds like you have - so I'll give it a shot. I do hope "firmware" is what you meant...? :confused:

Any other cameras you can do this with that will fit my housing, or are the housings different...?

No replies here, huh? The info I got on the other thread is that it's easily done. I'll know by this weekend with luck as the one I ordered shipped yesterday.
I am very intested in this, since my DC500 died recently. Thanks for the info.
Did you find one? Not many in the US it seems but more common in the UK. Finding them on Ebay.co.uk was a little tricky, but I forged thru...

NEW!~ VIVITAR 5340S 5MP DIGITAL CAMERA ~ RRP £129.99 on eBay, also, Digital Cameras, Photography (end time 31-Jul-08 23:39:12 BST) New one with warranty plus 1 Gb SD card for buy-now 50 GPB = almost $100 US plus $18 US shipping.

NEW!~ VIVITAR 5340S 5MP DIGITAL CAMERA ~ RRP £129.99 on eBay, also, Digital Cameras, Photography (end time 04-Jul-08 20:30:00 BST) Same item, seller, shipping as above I think but open for bids. None received and I don't see a reserve?

Caution: Vivitar Vivicam 5340s 5 Mega-Pixel Digital Camera on eBay, also, Digital Cameras, Photography (end time 04-Jul-08 16:28:53 BST) This one is new and open for bids starting at 15 GBP = almost $30 US, does not say if he will ship to US or how much that would be, and has only a 78% rating.

I am very intested in this, since my DC500 died recently. Thanks for the info.

Have you talked to SeaLife? They give you a special discount price for replacement if
it is out of warranty.
You might have to ship it back to them first though.
I'd give them a call and ask.

--- bill

Well I got my Vivicam 5340s and uploaded the firmware very easily. Looks good to go totally, and I got it cheap.

I have been looking on Google and Ebay for others while I searched for some cell phones, and there are just not many available in the UK, even fewer in the US, and those in the UK are going to cost $35-40 US to ship.

Here is one just listed today but with no info on shipping to the US. I have asked in such cases and found the sellers willing. Vivitar ViviCam 5340s Digital Camera on eBay, also, Digital Cameras, Photography (end time 16-Jul-08 00:02:44 BST) Since the seller has no feedback score, no feedback in last 12 months but used to get all postives, it may sell cheaper than others.

SeaLife housings are exclusively designed to work with only SeaLife cameras.

Sorry to call "BS" on this.

I've been using a 5340s upgraded with SeaLife firmware in a SeaLife Housing for over a year and cannot tell the difference between it and my other DC500.

Let's be honest - SeaLife DOES NOT manufacture camera bodies - they are purchased and then the firmware is upgraded to work underwater. SeaLife DOES manufacture cases that work with only a particular camera body.

popcornlg.gif

SeaLife housings are exclusively designed to work with only SeaLife cameras.

Does Sealife offer any replacement cameras for their housings? (just in case the user floods the camera.) I checked approx 1 year ago for a replacement camera for a DC500 & was told that they were no longer avalible:shakehead:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom