Sealife Mini Washed Out Green Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawdady

Contributor
Reaction score
Alright so I just got a sealife mini and shot some video with it today. I was diving in 27-29 feet of water and vis was bad, about 6 feet at best with a lot of snot in the water. Anyway, I got back home and watched it and the video was very green and kind of washed out. I assume this probably has to do with improper white balance settings? I tried the settings for both above 25 feet and for below 25 feet. I see that it also has a setting for auto and a manual setting but I didn't try those. If I do choose manual, how do I manually adjust it? Would using auto have helped? Any suggestions on what I should have done differently would be welcomed. Thanks.

Go with auto. As conditions change, the camera does a lot faster than you would on manual.

How well have you studied the manual? I don't have that model so don't know it; does it have a choice of video size? If so, go with largest and a large card.

You can upload the video to Vimeo.com and post it here for review, like this...
[c]
[vimeo]3783470[/vimeo]
[/c]
click Quote to see my codes.

Hey DandyDon. Thanks for the tip. I will try auto next time. I've never heard of that site to post the video so thanks for that too. I've gone through the manual a few times but it doesn't really explain the fine points of white balance all that well. I'll keep playing with it and see what happens. Thanks again.

Yeah, you may have to search the net for more info on digital camera settings, but I haven't seen anything great. For video especially, auto is the way to go. As I think I said, be sure to shoot in largest & high resolution possible with large memory card. I hate to see people buy a 6 mp camera and shoot in 2 mp. :confused:

I don't know what format your camera shoots in or how many minutes you can shoot on a GB; do you? My DC500 shoots up to an hour in 640 wide on a GB and downloads in ASF - which I think I have compressed in Windows Movie Maker, which all Windows puter has. Tutorials at Microsoft. Anyway, since you usually get a lot of clips, WMM is good for splicing them together into one video, with titles, sub-titles, etc.

Post a clip will ya...?

I had a mini until April at which point I had the pleasure of watching it get flooded because I left the battery door open on a dive in Cozumel. Anyway, I just say that because I cannot verify what I think is going on because I had washed out video too.

I believe if you have a strobe attached and set the camera up for the external strobe, the color correction (Sea Mode) is turned off, and I think that applies to both photo and video. So, when shooting video with an external strobe, it is shooting in non-color correcting mode which gives the greenish video result.

I only say this because it seemed the video quality was much better before I bought and attached the external strobe. Without the strobe, I used the camera with the color correction dive mode turned on which I think had better video quality.

This is just my theory...I have not been able to verify this.

Good guess, Texbob. On my DC500, there is a Sea mode and Ext Flash Mode. Yeah, it'd be best to set on Sea for video, but I don't think needed. You can't change modes while on video. Be worth investigating tho on the Mini.

Thanks guys. I have a strobe for it but I have'nt used it yet. I guess I just need to get out there and play around with a little. I'll be down in the keys in a couple of weeks and see if I can figure it. Where I usually dive up in Vneice there is typically not much vis so it isn't the best test of the camereas functions.

I noticed with my replacement DC1000, while in External Flash mode, when switching to Video, the LCD image is overwhelmingly red while on the surface. This tells me the DC1000 has a sea mode for the video even when the external flash is attached. I don't remember this with the Mini. Perhaps the video wash out effect that I noticed before is a thing of the past for me.

Well, ask me again after my inaugural trip to Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom