DC1000 Macro question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brett1971

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got my DC1000 and took it diving a couple of weeks ago. The manual and specs say that it'll autofocus to 2 inches. Unless I'm doing something wrong, (always a distinct possibility!), I can't get clear, in-focus pix inside about 4-5 inches. I've tried in the water, above the water, in and out of the housing, with/without the strobe, etc. Anybody have any suggestions? I saw a few pix on the board from a fellow with this camera taking some test pix of a bolt in his pool. I can't get anything that even comes close to the clarity that he got.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brett

Are you setting the Macro to on? If it is on, you should see the red flower in the upper left of the lcd screen.

It is a great camera but I get less then desired results in macro also.

I just got my DC1000 and took it diving a couple of weeks ago. The manual and specs say that it'll autofocus to 2 inches. Unless I'm doing something wrong, (always a distinct possibility!), I can't get clear, in-focus pix inside about 4-5 inches. I've tried in the water, above the water, in and out of the housing, with/without the strobe, etc. Anybody have any suggestions? I saw a few pix on the board from a fellow with this camera taking some test pix of a bolt in his pool. I can't get anything that even comes close to the clarity that he got.

Brett

Send me some of your macro pictures to brino@silencioazul.cl

Yes, I've set the camera to Macro mode. I've also experimented with the strobe's macro setting (on and off), not that it should affect the focus. I realize that to get the kind of photos you see in dive mags you really need a pro rig but I actually got better macro shots from my old DC210 with the macro lenses.

Hello Brett,

When you are in the Macro mode, are you using the zoom on the camera?

Not good to use zoom in macro mode.
Kinda difficult to zoom in on something you're only 2 inches from already

Brett

It is a great camera but I get less then desired results in macro also.
I've had that experience with macro and zoom.

I've corrected it to a point using wide angle getting to the light range for the strobe and then using digital zoom to get the macro shot with wide angle.

nudibranch0906184.jpg

squatanemoneshrimp0908021.jpg

floridaregalseagoddess0908024.jpg

--------

I've been in contact with ReefNet Inc. about their +5 and +10 wet lens adapted diopters

They are increasing the size of their diopter lenses to be large enough for a DSLR camera (increasing the price soon too). I ordered a +10 wet lens diopter and the adapter for my Sealife DC600. Cost was $280. They haven't completed the up-size on the diopter yet and will send them as soon as they have their orders in from manufacturing.

When I do receive the diopter I expect some shots like this:

1241312173_nudi-37.jpg

1241312202_nudi-39.jpg

1241137976_Bumblebee-Shrimp-3.jpg

These were taken by a friend who was testing the diopter for ReefNet Inc. in the same location I was taking my shots.
-----------

I can't wait for the lens to arrive!

Sealife Joe (and others),

I'm not using the zoom feature at all, either digital or optical. I've tried with and without the wide angle lens as well. I'll try to post an example of my shots.

Brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom