DC 1000 missing on 3rd diving day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highlandfarmwv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well, I had the worst luck: on the 3rd day of diving in Aruba, my brand new DC1000 decided to go swimming on its own. I was distracted by a dropped weight belt, and accientally let my camera go. Before I reqlized it, it floated to top and away in the wind and waves. Be sure you have the strap connected at all times, and have insurance. (I did not have any insurance) I liked the cmera for the first 2 days!

Wow, that is bad news, and only your 2 diving day. Don't let it ruin your vacation. Maybe you will be real lucky and someone will find it!

Oh that sucks - definitely feel bad for you. I've "lost" mine twice - first time I didn't have a strap,
lucky that I realized it quickly enough and viz was good enough to see it on the surface. Second
time was in Monterey, using new gloves the strap hook didn't must not have gotten quite all the
way on the d-ring, let go to help untangle my wife, realized it about a minute later.
Surfaced (safely) and the mate was able to spot it from the deck - lucky it was in a clearing or
it would have never stood out from the kelp.

I added a lanyard in addition to the wrist strap and clip it to my BC, and I love my DC1000, will be postng pics from NC in a few days

Sorry about your luck. I insure all of my cameras and other traveling electronics with State Farm's PAP or Inland Marine policy: Personal Articles Heard nothing but good about them here on SB, cheap rates, no deductible, good claims. I had a laptop knocked out by lightening; no exclusions on power surge either. Filed the claim a week ago, he called today saying he'd settle tomorrow probly.

Edit: Hey, did you have trip insurance? It would have some coverage for such losses, I hope.

Last edited:
The best thing I have found to prevent a run away camera is the Innovative Scuba Original Snappy Coil Lanyard. It will extend to 36 inches and has a stainless split ring that will attach to the lanyard point on the housing. The cool feature is the positive snap on the other end that allows you to quickly attach it to you D-Ring on the BC. It also has a quick release snap that allows you to shorten the lanyard. This is handy when you are making long swims or riding a DPV and need both hands. They run around 15 to 20 dollars and when you consider the cost of a replacement camera it's a cheep investment. Most any dive shop should carry them or you can find them online at scuba.com. I would think that any dive shop sales associate would recommend a snappy coil to anyone purchasing an underwater camera. I was in Cabo this past March and found it to be a priceless piece of equipment as I saw another diver with a DC800 about lose his to sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom