Dive Training Magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaSigns

Reaction score
In the March 2007 edition of Dive Training Magazine, there is a great article on underwater sign language. SeaSigns is mentioned. This would be a great reference tool to learn more about the advantages of communicating underwater.

The title of the article is:

Fluid Conversion:
A Primer on Communicating Underwater

Have a great day diving ....

SeaSigns
http://www.seasigns.com

On my first dive I had middle ear squeeze at 5 ft. the instuctor said "if you feel any pain don't go deeper". So I was very slow going down, and only managed to go to 12ft after 20 minutes, so slow the instructor said I would have been left behind had I not been the only student on the dive. I didn't have any sinus problem that day. Are there any medical options for me like drops before diving or operation? I would really love to be able to dive.

kiril2007:
On my first dive I had middle ear squeeze at 5 ft. the instuctor said "if you feel any pain don't go deeper". So I was very slow going down, and only managed to go to 12ft after 20 minutes, so slow the instructor said I would have been left behind had I not been the only student on the dive. I didn't have any sinus problem that day. Are there any medical options for me like drops before diving or operation? I would really love to be able to dive.
I don't know why we're in this thread. No instructor (or buddy) should ever leave, or threaten to leave, a diver who is having trouble clearing behind.

kiril2007:

I would do a search on "ear squeeze", "ear pain", "ear problem". Or simply browse throught the new diver section, or diving medicine, or ask Dr. Deco for the many opinions.

Ultimately, you make your own opinion concerning this. I would advise pressuring your ear at the surface until you hear both ears pop. I would never deflate the BC completely like some instructors and divers tell you. Just deflate the BC barely enough to have your forehead under the water. Then "very slowly" either swim down, pull yourself slowly down the anchor, or very "slowly" release a little more air out of your bc. This will control your descent rate, and at the sametime, continue to have a finger on the nose and repressurize every 2 ft until you reach the bottom.

If you fail to do this, the eustachian tube will collapse, and it is very hard to open them up again....

As far as taking drug and sprays - read the opinions posted here, and do it at your own risk.

Alexisisa8, what's with all the Spashvision spam?

John

If you're an instructor or student and want to learn or teach SeaSigns, come check out our new website www.SeaSigns.com ! We have lots of new features for instructors and students such as online registration, downloadable materials, instructor search, online classes, Facebook and much more!

Come visit us and let us know if you have any questions!

Safe & Happy Signing!
SeaSigns

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom