What are the average Divemaster wages in Koh Lanta , Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaY31

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I understand this a how long is a piece of string question, but I am aware of the Koh Tao wages. So id like to know what ball park figure for Koh Lanta is.
Things to note.
Time arriving would be pre high season for the duration of high season.
Is pay by commission per tank per customer, plus basic wage for full timers ? Do many shops employ full timers and free lancers ?
Size of shop operation and number of customers per group , would that change the wage? if you know that in regards to differing wages please state.

Previous experience of the applier , 2 1/2 months working full time as dive master. 5 months since start of dive master to present. Own gear and divers liability insurance.

PM if you would prefer to answer anomalously and we could have a chat.

Thanks,

Are you Thai or farang?

Dive Masters would be considered a tour guide, this is one of the 39 listed jobs as being prohibited to foreigners working in the Kingdom of Thailand. If you are working as a non-paid intern for a center on the correct visa then you are exempt from this.

Number 34
CHAPTER 19

“We only came to check work permits and clarify the information within them to the employees. We did not come to make any arrests; that is not our job,” said Phuket Employment Office Chief Yaowapa Pibulpol.

Job descriptions in work permits are only written in Thai. Despite a push from Governor Maitri and the Association of Thailand for Underwater Sports (ATUS) (story here and here), that will not change, explained Orakarn Tongkaew of the Employment Office.

“Work permits are the property of the Thai government and will only be written in Thai,” said Ms Orakarn. “However, our officers must explain the job description and what is written on the permit when the employee picks it up.”

Ms Yaowapa explained that dive instructors are allowed to lecture students, as well as train with them in swimming pools and in the sea.

“You must carry out these activities in Phuket province only, as the authority of the Employment Office only covers people working in Phuket,” she added.

She went on to clarify that dive instructors are not meant to be tour guides or to help customers carry equipment.

“Thai law lists 39 jobs that are specifically reserved for Thai nationals, and service jobs, such as carrying equipment and acting as tour guides, are included on that list,” Ms Yaowapa said.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket...t-Dive-shop-blitz-clarifies-instructors/29049

Anyway, so back to the original post , if any people who have been dive masters in the Krabi province up to Khoa Lak ( I'll widen my questioned area considerably here )
i promise not to tell the immigration about you :)

Anybody?

We kept groups small, max 4 people. Most of the time a 2 tank morning boat, so a good day was 960baht. Offcourse sometimes it's less

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom