Instructor/Dive Shop manager/Photo Pro/Biologist seeking position in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am currently looking for a new position in scuba tourism in the Philippines. You will get an experienced, responsible, multilingual instructor/manager with an unusual breath of knowledge about the ocean and diving. My international connections and online presence will further profit your operation. I am a PADI instructor with several specialties, a technical diver, published underwater photographer, popular science writer and published fish biologist. I also have experience in resort & dive shop management in the Philippines.

Personal Data:
Dr. Klaus M. Stiefel
Born Dec. 3rd, 1972 (age 42)
Austrian citizen, single
Languages: German (native), English (quasi-native), Visayan (advanced), Japanese (basic)

Scuba Diving Qualifications:
TDI Hypoxic Trimix Diver (2010, Matt Reed, Evolution Diving Malapascua)
TDI Pelagian CCR Air Diluent Decompression Diver (2015, Matt Reed, Evolution Diving Malapascua)
NAUI Divemaster (2011, Doug Bennett, Reef Encounters Okinawa)
PADI Open Water Scuba Diving Instructor (2014, Carl Fallon, Abyss Scuba Diving Sydney)
PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor (2014)*
PADI Project AWARE Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Instructor (2014)*
PADI Project AWARE Shark Conservation Specialty Instructor (2014)
PADI Search and Rescue Specialty Instructor (2014)
PADI Deep Diving Specialty Instructor (2014)
PADI Oxygen Provider Specialty Instructor (2014)
PADI Enriched Air Specialty Instructor (2014)

University Education:
Mag. rer. nat. (undergraduate degree): Microbiology, University of Vienna, 1998.
Doctorate: Zoology, University of Vienna & Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Frankfurt, 2002.

SCUBA Tourism Experience:
Manager, instructor and dive guide at Amontillado Resort, Dauin, Negros Oriental, Philippines, November 2014 – April 2015. Mainly due to poor marketing (which is not my responsibility) the resort is not drawing enough guests and the owners can not extend my contract - hence I am looking for a new opportunity.

Co-organized and led the Evolution Photoganza in collaboration with Evolution Diving, Malapascua, Philippines, in 2012, 2013 and 2014.
The Photoganza was an underwater photography and marine biology workshop in one of the Philippines’ top diving spots.

Part-time teaching and guiding at Abyss Scuba Diving, Sydney, April-October 2014. Teaching of the PADI Project AWARE Shark Conservation Specialty.

Academic Employment:
Before to switching to employment in my field of passion, diving, I was employed at several universities and research institutions. In the course of my academic career, I have been managing, at different times, a research group with up to 5 members, and a research grant of over 300 000A$.

December 2011 – October 2014
Researcher at University of Western Sydney
Sydney, Australia

November 2006 - September 2011
Principal Investigator at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
Okinawa, Japan

June 2002 - July 2006
Researcher at Salk Institute
San Diego, California, United States

Underwater Photography & Popular Publishing:
My underwater nature photographs have been featured in several printed scuba diving publications, books, and a multitude of blogs and websites. A picture of a thresher shark I took in the Philippines was featured on a magazine cover (see below). I have won a number of photo contests, and as of February 2015, my Flickr photostream has drawn 3.1 million views.

I have exhibited my underwater photography at the Blank Space Gallery (Sydney) in 2013 and at the Campus gallery of the University of Western Sydney in 2014.

“Eyes, Camera, Action!”, article in Scientific American Mind, April 2014 (with Dr. Alex Holcombe).
“Sex, Drugs and Scuba Diving”, book, 2012, a popular science account of marine biology and the history of the Pacific Ocean.

This shot of a thresher shark, which I took in Malapascua, Philippines, in 2012, was on the cover of the ASEAN Biodiversity Magazine:
8368982117_d778b7fb7d.jpg

Academic Publishing:
I have published 24 papers in peer-reviewed scientific journals and 5 book chapters on the topics of neurobiology, evolution and fish biology.

Web Presence:
www.pacificklaus.com
www.flickr.com/pacificklaus
Klaus Stiefel (@Pacificklaus) | Twitter
www.facebook.com/SexDrugsAndScubaDiving

Dr. Klaus M. Stiefel
Amontillado Resort
Bulak, 6217 Dauin
Negros Oriental, Philippines
Tel. +63 (0) 9 772 151 869
Klaus@pacificklaus.com

Posters for some of the courses, exhibitions, workshops and popular science seminars I led:
14136704105_9ea4e6d668.jpg

8386025294_4f8e4711d3.jpg

8290221027_87fa1f7b16.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom