Great White Vs Mako Shark - help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Ok, so its just an average 'which is better' discussion. However, i figured who better to ask than divers themselves. We are having a general debate about this, and both sides have been argued. Who would in in a fight? Which is generally 'the better shark?' And pound for pound? What are the best/worst qualities of each!? Anything to help finally settle the argument!! Please voice both fact and opinion!! Thanks so much for your help. X

Who would win in a fight between superman and the incredible hulk. No one knows. I'm not sure there would ever have been a documented case of normal healthy maco's and white's fighting. I've alway's thought of a white shark as a chomper one bite your dead sort of shark where as my perception of a maco is like a pit bull. This is going to really hurt kind of shark taking lots of small fast bites. We have maco's here in South Australia and White Pointers and I can honestly say I'd face a maco before a white anyday.

I saw a hippo vs. a zambezi shark on the Discovery Channel once. A little more interesting than your square-off--and equally probable.:D

Hmm...I agree with Farrakhan, the Great White and the Mako are from the same family of shark, so in my mind the Great White is just like the BIG brother, who's just a little slower than his younger sibling, the mako! Yes, the white pointer definately has my vote in this debate, particularly as he's not so stupid as to go leaping out of the sea and into boats like the mako, and with his bite power per square inch, when he wants to eat you, you have no chance of getting out of it...at least not with all limbs attached!

I'd fancy my chances better with a mako... :)

(But to put things in perspective, what's scarier than a great white? A drunk driver in a 4 wheel drive! Ouch. :p)

Sirenita:
(But to put things in perspective, what's scarier than a great white?

According to one of the Benchley books, the teeth of the GWS in the original jaws poster/book cover had to be "mako-ified" cos gws teeth aren't scary enough. nuff said: mako's rule (although latin fans will have guessed i'm biased).

vladimir:
I saw a hippo vs. a zambezi shark on the Discovery Channel once. A little more interesting than your square-off--and equally probable.:D

On the same tangent: I once saw footage of bull sharks and crocodiles fighting over a some wildebeest carcasses. That's when I started my "Places I'll Never Dive" list.

I once heard a mako can swim 60 mph and "jump" 20ft out of the water. Not sure of the veracity but it sounds mighty impressive.

Great White wins hands down, for all the reasons The Devil's Teeth wasn't written about the mako.

JB

RockPile:
On the same tangent: I once saw footage of bull sharks and crocodiles fighting over a some wildebeest carcasses. That's when I started my "Places I'll Never Dive" list.

I once heard a mako can swim 60 mph and "jump" 20ft out of the water. Not sure of the veracity but it sounds mighty impressive.

Great White wins hands down, for all the reasons The Devil's Teeth wasn't written about the mako.

JB

JB, I'd love to hear your list of places you'll never dive! I was thinking of compiling a similar one along those lines myself!! Gaans Bai (sp?), and Dyer Island area of the cape of South Africa would probably feature very high for me...unless I had a cage of course!! :) But then that opens up a whole can of worms on the shark tourism debate!

New thread it is! If I show you my list you have to show me yours. :)

As a boxer, I am gonna go with the smaller, quicker shark in this bout. Whites are extremely powerful, but they are not very agile. So I am picking the Mako.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom