Huge Concentration of Bull Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edlover92

New
Reaction score
Hello my name is Ed Mitchell I live on the southern pacific coast of oaxaca mexico. Though I do dabble in scuba diving I am mainly a free/spear diver. Yesterday while out cruising the coast in my panga looking for concentrations of bait fish we happened upon hundreds (we estimated 200-300) of very large bull sharks, 8-12 ft, cruinsing the surf zone. I have encountered bull sharks in this area before but have never seen more than one at a time. This concentration of sharks ran almost 4 miles of coastline. In talking with several local fisherman, some who have 40 plus years of fishing experience, none of them say they have ever seen such a phenomena. I am curious to know if anyone on this forum has every experienced or even heard of such a large concentration of bull sharks in the the same area at the same time?

I certainly have not heard of it, however I am quite disappointed that I cannot make it out there right now. Wow what an amazing site that would be to film.

Offshore of Eastern Florida we see large aggregations of Blacktip Sharks in Dec/Jan and then the Lemons come in the end of Janurary through February. They come by the hundreds and even thousands. Some believe it is for breeding. The shores along the coast have inlets of mangroves that are perfect for shark nurseries. It is a spectacular event to see!

Besides breeding, some species of shark, like the bulls, will follow changes in water temps and also spawning cycles of different fish that they tend to hunt such as Red Snapper.

You were lucky to witness that first hand.

Carolyn:shark2:

Offshore of Eastern Florida we see large aggregations of Blacktip Sharks in Dec/Jan and then the Lemons come in the end of Janurary through February. They come by the hundreds and even thousands. Some believe it is for breeding. The shores along the coast have inlets of mangroves that are perfect for shark nurseries. It is a spectacular event to see!

Besides breeding, some species of shark, like the bulls, will follow changes in water temps and also spawning cycles of different fish that they tend to hunt such as Red Snapper.

You were lucky to witness that first hand.

Carolyn:shark2:

Yeah the Bulls and Reef Sharks are running like mad at Jupiter Beach right now. The Bulls are following the Cobia right now.

Hello my name is Ed Mitchell I live on the southern pacific coast of oaxaca mexico. Though I do dabble in scuba diving I am mainly a free/spear diver. Yesterday while out cruising the coast in my panga looking for concentrations of bait fish we happened upon hundreds (we estimated 200-300) of very large bull sharks, 8-12 ft, cruinsing the surf zone. I have encountered bull sharks in this area before but have never seen more than one at a time. This concentration of sharks ran almost 4 miles of coastline. In talking with several local fisherman, some who have 40 plus years of fishing experience, none of them say they have ever seen such a phenomena. I am curious to know if anyone on this forum has every experienced or even heard of such a large concentration of bull sharks in the the same area at the same time?

wow! pictures?

Saw a very large concentration of big bulls off of Jupiter Island, Fl a few years back. The sharks were in between the Jupiter inlet and the St. Lucie inlet, from the surf zone out. They just seemed to be "hanging out" not headed in any paticular direction. Flew over them for about ten minutes or so. Didn't see any bait from our altitude-below 500ft. Haven't seen them like that since and make the trip every few days between Boca and Stuart. Mating???

Jason of Fantasea (PlayaCountryBoy on this forum) just posted a thread and video about bull sharks. He said they come through Dec - Mar. You may have seen the big migration.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/315011-love-sharks-watch.html

Back
Top Bottom