Whale Shark Operators from Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chebel

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a reputable Whale Shark tour operator in Isla Mujeres?

My wife, two teen age daughters and I just got back yesterday from a trip to Isla Mujeres to dive and see the whale sharks. We dove with Enrique at Enrique's Unique Dives who got us on the Ixchell II for their whale shark snorkeling trip. I choose this trip specifically in hopes of getting to see and jump in with a whale shark or two. When we made it out to the spot where they'd be gathering we saw more whale sharks then we could count. We were able to snorkel in small groups with them as the whale sharks swam by, under, around and over (if you swam down) us. A truly remarkable experience, only enhanced by the helpful crew on the Ixchell II. Afterwards we went to a nice reef where we snorkeled while the crew made fresh shrimp ceviche for all of us. Knowing my youngest was not a ceviche fan, Enrique arranged for chicken sandwiches as well. They provided soft drinks and beer with the meal and it was one of the best memories of my life. You can contact them at Ixcheltour_islamujeres@hotmail.com.
The boat was comfortable, fast, with twin 225 outboards and a working radio. All things to consider when heading out into the open ocean to find the whale sharks.
Finally, they were clear on the rules about not touching the whales sharks or the reefs, which preserves both and something I'm not sure all of the other boats did. I was glad because both need to be protected and I appreciated the fact they demonstrated this awareness. They were great, but we were not overly surprised since Enrique recommended them.

Isla Mujeres is a great little island that divers have known about for years. The whale sharks that arrive in June and leave at the end of August are a rare and wonderful experience which I highly recommend to anyone with interests in seeing these beautiful animals. Have fun and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom