Huge whale shark washes ashore in Pakistan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Thanks for the post. To Quote the article:"There were people interested to buy the dead fish for a possible exhibition, minting money from the visitors. The bid surged to 1.7 million PKR and was later sold to a considerably lesser price by the Karachi Fish Harbour Authority, which triggered a controversy
later in the day."

A dead whale shark is worth $18,752.70 US dollars.

What is the value of a live whale shark in Pakistan?

The article cites a WWF official as saying that 30 whale sharks have been found dead in Pakistani waters over the past 7 years. Wow!

The cynic in me asks "Or are they being killed somehow and "found dead" so that they can be sold?".

How do you go about killing a whale shark and not leave considerable evidence?

I cannot answer that. I have no idea what would kill the animal just as I do not know how involved the "inspection" is to claim no foul play (if any inspection). I may be off base in this case but I know that many people would rather the money than the living animal so my cynical senses got tweaked when I read that caption.

Majestic animal, even dead. Wonder what the actual cause of death was, and why it was purchased for $18,750? What was done with it to justify such a sum? I'm my understanding dead sharks don't 'keep' well, and it wouldn't be easy to toss a grown whale shark in the freezer!

Richard.

I am thankful that I was lucky enough to swim with one,,, before they are all gone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom