Killing of Sharks on Protea Banks, Shelly Beach, South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kymtris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE AS PASSIONATE ABOUT SHARKS AS WE ARE!!

This has been a very sad week for Protea Banks, Shelly Beach, South Africa. Allegedly a mature Tiger shark was caught on Tuesday and decapitated for its jaws. Yesterday a Zambezi (Bull) shark and Oceanic Blacktip shark saw the same fate, confirmed report.

Although this practise is not illegal the loss of 3 sharks in just one week has a huge impact on the environment and Protea Banks, and these are the only the sharks we know about. What was illegal is that these sharks are supposed to be beached whole and not just with their heads cut off.

At the moment I fear the story is been handled in a very SENSATIONALIST way. This is not want I want to gain by making everyone aware of this. There currently no right or wrong: it is legal for fisherman to catch sharks , however as divers we are passionate about the sharks, especially when you get to dive with them daily and then you notice a shark you have dived with is now a ‘trophy’!

I am looking for people who share my same passion about sharks, to come up with constructive ideas on how we can fight this in a legal, educational and non-sensational way. Our sharks need protection but I am also aware that fisherman have their own rights. Please we are looking for a solution going forward.

If anyone can assist me, please e-mail me on info@aquaplanet.co.za

Happy safe diving and I look forward to being able to show you sharks on Protea Banks for many years to come.

Terrible to hear. Protea Banks is one of the best dive destinations for sharks that I've been to in the world.

I saw the story in regards to the shark slaughter and have to agree that it is/will be treated in a very sensationalistic way. There will be the extremists on both side of the fence i'm sure. Though it is still (unfortunately) legal to fish sharks, it is rather clear that there should be a reason supplied as to why and the whole carcass is to be beached. Short of getting into a political spat, policing, or the lack thereof rather, seems to be the problem.
Perhaps creating a bit of publicity around the offenders may cause their clientele to find more ethical bussiness, but that may be illegal too? The sad bit is that the sharks alive, would be worth much more in tourism than whatever was paid for it's jaw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom