Hammerheads at Aliwal Shoal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaculture

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Was a real suprise to see them, there were about 4 of them, decent size. Stayed pretty far away from us, just on the edge of our vision.

Not the best quality pics, sorry bout that

You are lucky. I saw a 3m long hammerhead while snorkeling at flynn reef in Australia in 2003, I was surprised at how tall its dorsal fin was. It swam directly under me then disappeared into the depths. I took a photo but was so nervous i only got its tail in the picture.

Off the Kwazulu Natal coast - South Africa.

This area is also known for the annual sardine run, as well as the number of Spotted Ragged Tooth sharks which congregate here in winter.

We saw more Hammerheads there this past weekend, and also had dolphins on the first five minutes of the dive.

I just got back from Cocos Island and was fortunate to see hundreds of hammerheads. While you could get pretty close to them there they were still very skittish and shy. I never thought I would hear a hammerhead described as "elegant" but that is a great description that one of the other divers used. They just slowly glided in around us as the barber fish removed the parasites from them at the cleaning station. They are just beautiful animals.

Back
Top Bottom