Whaleshark - sounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobula

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
2007 we have been on two liveaboards to Malpelo in a row, one of it was a rebreather only trip (Inula-diving.de). Arvid, the owner of the Inula, has one special divesite called Bajo Suani. It is a small pinnacle coming out of the blue and starts on 20m and it is very famous for muray eels. You sometimes find 30 on the rocks like a snakepit. We went down and right after the beginning 2 whalesharks appeared. One of them turned and swam towards me and I had put down my head to prevent the collision :). When it came close we all heard loud noises not really like Dolphins but same kind of sounds. I have it on video. The whole group heard this sound and we were pretty sure that the whaleshark was the source. The dingi drivers didn't see any dolphins around. Dolphins were absent during the whole time (13 days) around Malpelo.
Did someone ever hear sounds from whalesharks? Is that possible? There wasn't any other solution for us. All divers knew Dolphin sounds. If they are around you here their noises always. Here it was only once.

Last edited:
That's really cool, Mobula. I know bony fish will use their swim bladders to make noises and some Chaetodonids produce noises to communicate with each other, but I have never heard of sharks producing noises like that. You are right, it definitely doesn't sound like dolphins.

That is a beautiful video and amazing if that is the whaleshark making that sound. Contact the SRI and see what they may say about it. They also may be very interested in your video just for that fact. Thank you so much for sharing that!

media@sharks.org

Carolyn:shark2:

OK, I will send it. Thank you. I forgot that this happened (2007) but found it within my videoclips again and wondered if one knows something about whaleshark sounds. Let's hear what SRI says.

The video: it is only part of a video which I edited for the liveaboard Inula. For more impressions you can try this link:

http://www.marinevideo.eu/mediadeta...le=Malpelo+-+a+shark+adventure+(high+quality)

Thank you for your feedback

Yeah... I just checked with Helen and apparently there's something wrong there at the moment. Try this helschambers@hotmail.com

Yes I'm in HUrghada. Where does this Christian Heylen work. If he's been here a while I probably know him. But the name doesn't ring a bell right now.

Cheers
...a...

Back
Top Bottom