Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: My First Shark Encounter - Help Me Identify the Species. St. Maarten, Caribbean

Registered

"status" does not
    need to be in quotations
    marks.

Dives
    100 - 199

My First Shark Encounter - Help Me Identify the Species. St. Maarten, Caribbean

Hi guys,

I was diving on Saturday in St. Maarten with Caribbean Dive College. We were diving on Cable Reef at about 45ft. The coral reef extends up to near the surface. Probably about 20 ft below the surface. The dive master first saw the shark at the top of the reef feeding on small fish. I didn't see it then. About 10 minutes later we saw the shark coming straight at us near the bottom of the reef. At first I was fine with it and then the shark came closer and closer and me breathing started to elevate a bit. It was an awesome site to see a shark coming head on like that with the blue water in the background. About 8ft from us the shark turned slightly and passed by us (that's when I got the picture) Then the shark did a 180 and headed back out.

I forgot to ask the DM about the shark species. I think from my limited research it is a Caribbean Reef Shark. It was between 4-5ft long from nose to tail. Maybe about 9-10" in diameter. It wasn't a very large shark. It has dark coloring along the edges of the fins.

Below are the pictures I took of it.

IMG_7687.jpgIMG_7688.jpg

Thanks
    00wabbit

Scuba Instructor

Trying to never be complacent

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Carcharhinus perezii

But maybe I'm wrong
    http://www.photoeditingforum.com/forum.phpa new forum for editing photos
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how just much I don't know"

Registered

I have not set a
    "status"

Dives
    0 - 24
    Looks like a Blacktip shark. I've seen them at Molasses Reef in Key Largo as well.

Great pics.
    Dan
    PADI OW certified July 1, 2012
    click to see My Gear

mod

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by jar546 View Post
    Carcharhinus perezii

But maybe I'm wrong
    That would be my call also - due to the dorsal fin "shading". I've seen a lot of them. One to compare it to:

reefshark.jpg

Registered

"status" does not
    need to be in quotations
    marks.

Dives
    100 - 199
    Yeah. Looks about the same as that photo.

Registered

Beach life is everything they
    say it is!!

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    Definitely a Caribbean Reef. As an aside, a great site for photos of these and other beauties is oceanicdreams.com which is the site of Wolfgang Leander (if you are not aware of him, you SHOULD be).
    You have the right to your own opinion. You do not have the right to your own truth.