Question about algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phantomrider09

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm used to diving an aeris computer. It's a very very liberal algorithm that I have never been able to match. On deeper deco dives I cut tables on vplanner........I just bought the petral and have played with it and the settings. I set the gf on 45/95 and it matches pretty close to vplanner. Same run time just different times at certain stops. I went with 45/95 because that's what it's set at under rec nitrox. But under rec nitrox the dive plan it's a long deco........so basically what I'm asking is what does everyone run for settings and how can I maximize bottom time without getting killed with deco. Very planner is very conservative compared to what I'm used to on my aeris a300cs. Is the bulhman or optional vpmb less conservitive? I'm not 100% on gradient factors......thanks alot

If you are trying to match vplanner get the vpm update. It will get you out of the water fairly quickly. It is all a matter of personal preference and risk tolerance. Just make sure you understand what is going on with the different algorithms.

I only use vplanner because I have to..... it's to conservative for my liking.

I have had VPM put on every one of my Predators & Petrels I've owned. I run V-planner tables as a back- up. I run a pretty conservative algorithm since I have had skin bends a couple years ago. As was mentioned above, just get the VPM unlock code for your computer, then your algorithms will match closely & no guess work.

I think if you look into it, the DSAT algorithm used on the Aeris is intended for NDL diving only. They also have the Z+ algorithm, but its more conservative...

After seeing a buddy get a hit on a dive with me where my older Aeris (DSAT) was fine, I have decided that it was cutting it a bit too fine for my taste. I now have a petrel and have it set at 40/85 and have no complaints. If the standard GF settings don't work for you, why don't you set it in Tech mode and set the GF wherever you want. I would suggest however, that don't use a model you don't believe or understand.

Most of the GF settings and even VPM-B set to 0 are going to give you a profile that opts for a brief deco hang over seeing how close you can get to being bent while still being able to point at your computer and say "Look, I'm still doing NDL dives!" Even something aggressive like 85/85 or whatever isn't necessarily going to beat the Aeris.

I don't understand why you say you "have to" use V-Planner. There are various other decompression planning programs available, including MultiDeco, which you can download for free if you have a registered version of V-Planner and that supports both VPM and Bühlmann/GF. You could compare plans from different VPM and GF settings with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom