Petrel upgrades?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Father

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In addition to the tech crowd, you guys seem to be getting some momentum in the recreational crowd with the Recreation Nitrox mode firmware.

Any chance you're working on a way to use the Bluetooth as a way to have wireless air integration? I don't know the witchcraft that makes Bluetooth work, so I don't know if it's even possible to transmit underwater using that technology. However, if it is, it would be a nice option to have. I've mentioned it to other people who feel the same way. I've heard others say "Well, if you're using >3 gases you have to have a transmitter for each gas. To that I say, so what? I know I'm not the only one that would like to see this.

Also... since the NERD has it, is there any chance of seeing a compass firmware update for the Petrel?

Lastly... and I don't know how much of a demand there is for this, but what about the option to set your surface gas. So if you wanted the computer to account for say 5 minutes of breathing 100% O2, it could do that. Either to reduce your surface interval or just to extend your bottom time on your next dive(s) by reducing your tissue saturation even further during your hour wait time.

Thanks again for the great computer.

I'm a Rec Nitrox user. I'd buy another Petrel to get hoseless AI. Then use my current Petrel for backup.

God I hope they don't throw in AI on these. There are enough computers on the market with this. Next someone will want friggin audible alarms and buzzers on it. The reason I bought a Shearwater was because of it's sophisticated simplicity. Want to keep track of your air supply. Learn and start using your SAC rate.
Additional transmitters are additional failure points and if the team is not all using them a transmitter fail could ruin the dive for the whole team. You'd still need analog spgs on all the tanks. It would turn a stage bottle into a mess.

Oh yeah, really loud buzzers please!

just kidding Jim, couldn't resist!

Thankfully, Bluetooth is incapable of delivering the range necessary, so we shouldn't have to worry about SW actually implementing AI.

For single tank recreational dives, AI is nice from a logging standpoint. Looking back and seeing where my breathing rate increases is interesting for me. I understand it doesn't make sense for technical diving. I really like my petrel even without it.

You guys need to remember that Shearwater is first and foremost a rebreather electronics company. It was easy enough for them to make the programming change to the Petrel after the success of the Predator with OC divers, but the computer is first and foremost a CCR computer and has necessary OC capability for bailout. You will never see CCR divers asking for AI, and you are highly unlikely to see tech divers asking for it either, so the odds of them going to the necessary design cost to develop a transmitter and do programming is pretty much 0. Like was mentioned above, plenty of computers that are out there to sell to recreational divers with AI, and the Hollis DG03 and I guess what will be the DG04 here in the next few months is a great computer, not a Petrel, but it has an AI option for cheap, but I can 100% guarantee you that the Petrel will not have AI and 99.9% guarantee that you won't ever see a Shearwater computer with AI.

You guys need to remember that Shearwater is first and foremost a rebreather electronics company. It was easy enough for them to make the programming change to the Petrel after the success of the Predator with OC divers, but the computer is first and foremost a CCR computer and has necessary OC capability for bailout. You will never see CCR divers asking for AI, and you are highly unlikely to see tech divers asking for it either, so the odds of them going to the necessary design cost to develop a transmitter and do programming is pretty much 0. Like was mentioned above, plenty of computers that are out there to sell to recreational divers with AI, and the Hollis DG03 and I guess what will be the DG04 here in the next few months is a great computer, not a Petrel, but it has an AI option for cheap, but I can 100% guarantee you that the Petrel will not have AI and 99.9% guarantee that you won't ever see a Shearwater computer with AI.

Indeed. Not to mention that given how adverse to even having the extra hardware/code for AI many of us are, SW would need to produce two variants rather than one computer with an optional transmitter to avoid alienating their core customer base. Two separate product lines would be incredibly inefficient.

Go buy a Lynx or an A300 or whatever makes your little AI loving heart go pitter pat. Just stay the :censored: away from the Petrel. Damn thing's already perfect - don't mess it up.

You guys need to remember that Shearwater is first and foremost a rebreather electronics company. It was easy enough for them to make the programming change to the Petrel after the success of the Predator with OC divers, but the computer is first and foremost a CCR computer and has necessary OC capability for bailout. You will never see CCR divers asking for AI

Unless they decide they are making money from the recreational market and want more of it... At the end of the day, it's all about what they believe they will make the most money doing.

Thankfully, Bluetooth is incapable of delivering the range necessary, so we shouldn't have to worry about SW actually implementing AI.

Bluetooth is incapable of reaching a sensor that's 3-4 feet from the transmitter? That makes no sense. I have Bluetooth headphones that will reach much farther. Unless Bluetooth can't transmit through water?

If they could make a Bluetooth AI, would anything need to change in the computer itself? Why would a different version need to be made?

For single tank recreational dives, AI is nice from a logging standpoint. Looking back and seeing where my breathing rate increases is interesting for me. I understand it doesn't make sense for technical diving. I really like my petrel even without it.

This was really my motivation for that suggestion. It's nice to have that information when you download your dive log from your computer. It's also cool to have your computer tell you on the fly how much time you have based on your air consumption as well.

So I should buy a different computer just for that?
From what I've been told, recreational divers are quickly becoming the majority of Shearwater's buyers. So it really doesn't matter what the computer is first and foremost. Companies change their products to meet the current demands. I don't know if you've noticed, but that's pretty common in any market. Otherwise burgers and fries would still be your thing on the menu at McDonald's.
If Shearwater made this a firmware upgrade option, the tech and CC people can simply not buy it the same way they probably didn't buy the recreational Nitrox upgrade. HOLY CRAP!!!

Why are people so quick to shut down an idea when it's something they don't even HAVE to use or get. That's like saying sports cars shouldn't be sold because they have no practical application and you can't drive at the speed their capable of.

Indeed. Not to mention that given how adverse to even having the extra hardware/code for AI many of us are, SW would need to produce two variants rather than one computer with an optional transmitter to avoid alienating their core customer base. Two separate product lines would be incredibly inefficient.

Yeah, especially since they already have two different versions of the Petrel.... one with and one without the external Fischer connector. So which version came first and why did they make another version? Possibly because of consumer demand?

Everything I suggested is based on the assumption it could all be done without a hardware change... simply a firmware upgrade. If that's possible why wouldn't they want to offer it? It opens up the computer to more customization for a broader range of users without offending anyone by forcing it on the ones that don't want it.

I love dive snobs...

Back
Top Bottom