Anything new from Shearwater for DEMA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wanted to create a thread here to see if anyone has gotten a glimpse of a new product/ firmware update coming from Shearwater this year. While we all know that DEMA isn't necessarily the place where most manufacturers introduce new tech I was wondering if Shearwater would be bringing us something new this year.

Just to start a nice little discussion, what new updates/hardware would you like to get from SR?

Personally, while I love my Petrel as it is, it would be really cool to get more options to customize even further our planning (like ascent/descend speed/rate).

We have the Petrel as a wrist computer/controller and the NERD as the perfect HUD. SW can stop coming up with new stuff if they want, as far as I'm concerned they've perfected their craft and can just refine it now :D

a software update to allow dive planning from the desktop would be nice. Mainly for ease of use. Doing it on the handset isn't bad, but for those divers that have multiple handsets it would be nice to be able to set up dive profiles and load them into the handsets from the computer. Takes away some error.

Including a compass like the Xdeep would be pretty cool. If the petrel had a compass, hands down it would be my next computer. Since the Xdeep has a compass and slightly lesser price, I am going to demo both before I buy.

KISS.. Keep it simple. One of the reasons why the shearwater is so rock solid is that it is not loaded up with extras. If you want a compass buy a compass, don't mess with life support..

Including a compass like the Xdeep would be pretty cool. If the petrel had a compass, hands down it would be my next computer. Since the Xdeep has a compass and slightly lesser price, I am going to demo both before I buy.

compass is overrated and a major battery drain.

below is a video that we made to show how we make our slates which are perfect for surveying and navigation, and super cheap to build. Infinitely more useful than a digital compass on a computer especially since you typically wear your computer fairly high on your forearm.
[video=youtube;x0z4T_3KjFM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0z4T_3KjFM[/video]

Reactions: Jax
I think an RGBM option would be phenomenal.

How about a smart phone app for downloading profiles / planning??? :)

OH!! Air integration...if only to piss off folks like Dr. Lecter! :D

We have the Petrel as a wrist computer/controller and the NERD as the perfect HUD. SW can stop coming up with new stuff if they want, as far as I'm concerned they've perfected their craft and can just refine it now :D

I can't comment on the NERD but the petrel could use work in the kludgy pc connectivity. Also some sort of HUD for OC might be useful. People seem to like the oceanic datamask, imagine if there was a good computer that had a hud type feature for OC divers. With recent petrel changes, it's obvious that shearwater has at least some interest in the recreational market, so things like optional audible notifications and air integration could be possible someday. Also, I believe predator had a superior display. They could offer a model with current guts and the predator display. There are lots of possibilities for improvements or at least additional products if shearwater were so inclined.

I love my two petrels, but they're not perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom