Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Sherwood "The Source" Battery Replacement -- Refused Service (why?)

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

Question Sherwood "The Source" Battery Replacement -- Refused Service (why?)

Hi,

I have an old model of "The Source" with a non-user-replaceable battery. It has a battery/access port with 3 holes arranged in a triangle. According to my friend who owns a SCUBA shop (he's not a Sherwood dealer though), there's a special tool that Sherwood repair centers have to open the port. So obviously, I can't open it without (a) damaging it and (b) voiding the warranty (if there still is one).

So I went to Sport Chalet to do the old fill out the form / mail it in thing, but was refused service. They tried to persuade me to take a $200 credit and buy a new Sherwood computer. According to the sales associate, Sherwood phases out servicing on older products over time. Is this true? It seems like a simple job and I'm willing to pay to get it done. Is this guy wrong or is this Sherwood's way of doing business?

Thanks!
    - Dave

Equipment Manufacturer

Has not set a "status"

Hi we can certainly repair this. There is a fee for the service, you will need to get price from Sport Chalet. My guess is that the person you spoke to didn't know about servicing this unit. Which Sport Chalet did you bring the computer into and who did you speak to? We can contact them and make sure that they understand what we can do for you on this computer.

Sherwood Scuba

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Wow, that's a relief, thanks. It was at the Costa Mesa Sport Chalet. I believe the guy's name may have been John Rice. He was the Master SCUBA Instructor. I'll try again and hopefully things'll work out this time.

Thanks Again!
    - Dave

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by coadavid View Post
    Hi,

I have an old model of "The Source" with a non-user-replaceable battery. It has a battery/access port with 3 holes arranged in a triangle. According to my friend who owns a SCUBA shop (he's not a Sherwood dealer though), there's a special tool that Sherwood repair centers have to open the port. So obviously, I can't open it without (a) damaging it and (b) voiding the warranty (if there still is one).

So I went to Sport Chalet to do the old fill out the form / mail it in thing, but was refused service. They tried to persuade me to take a $200 credit and buy a new Sherwood computer. According to the sales associate, Sherwood phases out servicing on older products over time. Is this true? It seems like a simple job and I'm willing to pay to get it done. Is this guy wrong or is this Sherwood's way of doing business?

Thanks!
    - Dave
    I believe those 3 holes are for the pressure sensor. The battery is accessed by unscewing the black base of the computer.