Sherwood "The Source" Battery Replacement -- Refused Service (why?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coadavid

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have an old model of "The Source" with a non-user-replaceable battery. It has a battery/access port with 3 holes arranged in a triangle. According to my friend who owns a SCUBA shop (he's not a Sherwood dealer though), there's a special tool that Sherwood repair centers have to open the port. So obviously, I can't open it without (a) damaging it and (b) voiding the warranty (if there still is one).

So I went to Sport Chalet to do the old fill out the form / mail it in thing, but was refused service. They tried to persuade me to take a $200 credit and buy a new Sherwood computer. According to the sales associate, Sherwood phases out servicing on older products over time. Is this true? It seems like a simple job and I'm willing to pay to get it done. Is this guy wrong or is this Sherwood's way of doing business?

Thanks!
- Dave

Hi we can certainly repair this. There is a fee for the service, you will need to get price from Sport Chalet. My guess is that the person you spoke to didn't know about servicing this unit. Which Sport Chalet did you bring the computer into and who did you speak to? We can contact them and make sure that they understand what we can do for you on this computer.

Sherwood Scuba

Wow, that's a relief, thanks. It was at the Costa Mesa Sport Chalet. I believe the guy's name may have been John Rice. He was the Master SCUBA Instructor. I'll try again and hopefully things'll work out this time.

Thanks Again!
- Dave

Hi,

I have an old model of "The Source" with a non-user-replaceable battery. It has a battery/access port with 3 holes arranged in a triangle. According to my friend who owns a SCUBA shop (he's not a Sherwood dealer though), there's a special tool that Sherwood repair centers have to open the port. So obviously, I can't open it without (a) damaging it and (b) voiding the warranty (if there still is one).

So I went to Sport Chalet to do the old fill out the form / mail it in thing, but was refused service. They tried to persuade me to take a $200 credit and buy a new Sherwood computer. According to the sales associate, Sherwood phases out servicing on older products over time. Is this true? It seems like a simple job and I'm willing to pay to get it done. Is this guy wrong or is this Sherwood's way of doing business?

Thanks!
- Dave

I believe those 3 holes are for the pressure sensor. The battery is accessed by unscewing the black base of the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom