Sherwood SR-1 Free Flows at Cold Water Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharestDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello i am from Ontario Canada i recently dove up in Tobermory this past weekend on the Wreck of the Forest City the depth at 85 is about 43deg F i was using my SR-1 for the first Time in these cold waters is the SR-1 designed to withstand these cold Tempatures becuase i was breathing fine until i reached 85 ft and the reg started to Free Flow of Air out of the 2nd Stage but when i reached back up to 20 ft it stopped but the next day i used a Sherwood Blizzard at the same wreck and had no Free Flow ever and managed to get down to 122ft where the temp was 33 deg f can you tell me if i have a defective SR-1 Reg and could i see about getting a exchange with a Sherwood Blizzard Instead i bought the SR-1 at Leisurepro in New York becuase i don't want to get another SR-1 and have the same thing happen again to me i heard that there was a bad batch of SR-1 Regs that were returned becuase of certain faults
about a year ago
Could you please help me on this matter

Thanks John Charest
Here is my Serial Number of the Reg Set #JH187 of the 1st Stage and JI113 of the 2nd Stage could you please see if this is a defective reg i wish to keep keep on using your products

Thanks

Last edited:
The SR-1 I have is now gone I think it is a no good reg to use in cold water just bought a Mares Abyss 22

I was on a dive on the Arabia and the Forest City a few weeks ago and one of the guys on the charter had free-flow problems with his SR-1 as well. My two sons and I all use Blizzards and had no problems whatsoever.

I have no idea why the SR-1's seem prone to free-flow but you are not alone!

If you decide to leave Sherwood. Go with the ScubaPro MK17/G250V you will love it. Excellent reg. or the Atomic M1. Both would be Ideal but for the colder waters the Scubapro is great.

MK17/G250V - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

ImageGen.aspx

http://www.atomicaquatics.com/reg_M1.html

We are sorry to hear about your free flow issues. We have hundreds of SR1's being used in these conditions with no problems at all. Just the opposite, divers are very impressed with the performance in these conditions as highlighted by Whalesharker above . The free flow situations mentioned above do not occur at a specific temperature or depth. It is not the equipment, it is the adjustment and tuning. All high performance regulators can free flow in these conditions if not adjusted correctly.The SR1 should not be free flowing at these depths or in these temperatures. The free flow is due to tuning or adjustment. Please take your SR1 in to any authorized dealer for inspection and evaluation. If the local dealer cannot solve the issue, they will get it to Sherwood and we will solve it. We are confident all of the regulators above could be adjusted/tuned to where they could perform in these same conditions with zero free flows.

Sherwood really does stand behind their products. I wouldn't trade my Blizzard for anything.

Well I can't go to a local dealer in Canada for the SR-1 because I bought it from Leisurepro in New York City NY USA I got a e-mail from Diversco Canada and they told me if I bought a reg in the US I have to deal with a US Dealer to repair the reg well I can't bother to ship this reg from Ontario,Canada to New York and pay for all that shipping for just getting a reg serviced so with that in mind I have sold my SR-1 and bought a Mares Reg here in Onatrio I have nothing against Sherwood Products but I think it is time for a change for a different reg I have been using Sherwood for over 19 years but I need a good reg that won't ever have problems and I don't have to ship a long distance to have it serviced

Thanks to all for your Comments

Last edited:
Well I can't go to a local dealer in Canada for the SR-1 because I bought it from Leisurepro in New York City NY USA I got a e-mail from Diversco Canada and they told me if I bought a reg in the US I have to deal with a US Dealer to repair the reg well I can't bother to ship this reg from Ontario,Canada to New York and pay for all that shipping for just getting a reg serviced so with that in mind I have sold my SR-1 and bought a Mares Reg here in Onatrio I have nothing against Sherwood Products but I think it is time for a change for a different reg I have been using Sherwood for over 19 years but I need a good reg that won't ever have problems and I don't have to ship a long distance to have it serviced

Thanks to all for your Comments

Then buy the reg in Canada. Oh wait you did buy your new reg in Canada and won't have issues because you can go to your dealer and get it adjusted when needed. If you had done that from the beginning this thread would not be around. Oh well, still got another good reg but that SR1 is an awesome reg in 34 degree water, then again it was adjusted right in my case.

Wonder what happened to your previous reg though. Those Blizzards are tanks and don't fail often....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom