Sherwood Maximus regulator - dry air bleed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I purchased a Sherwood Maxims SRB7600 last year and just took it into my LDS for a servicing. It was working OK but not quite as good as it was when i first purchased it. When I called for an update, they said they can't get the parts for the Sherwood regulators in Thailand, and as a result, the dry air bleed system will no longer work. Apparently, they are nearly finished with whatever they did and it will be ready for pick up early next week.

What should I do? Will this regulator still function without the dry air bleed system? Can I continue to use it until I can make my way to an authorized Sherwood service center? I'm pretty upset they didn't ask me first before they proceeded with servicing.

The air bleed has a purpose and if it is not functioning as it is designed it can have a signific impact on regulator operation at depth. It concerns me that (I am assuming) they are saying it "will no longer work". Why not, did they do something to the reg to prevent it from working? Hopefully they did not do unrepairable damage to the reg. Unfortunately, I would suggest you not use it until you can get someone who knows Sherwoods to service it. You may be able to get them to give you a loaner reg since they are unable to fix and possibly made your reg worse.

Herman - thank you for your quick reply. I was able to get more information form the shop. When they stripped the first stage for cleaning, this included the bleed orifice plug. Apparently, they couldn't get this part from Sherwood for the Maximus model and so they engineered another part. Given my anger that they stripped the first stage, knowing they didn't have an adequate replacement, they've agreed to replace the first stage completely.

I don't know if it's just an issue with obtaining parts for the Maximus in Thailand, but now I know to check and make sure a specific model is still in production before purchasing it. Of course I might not have had the same problem if I had it serviced in the US.

Regards

2 common orings and a hp seat or new piston if seat is crimped in about 3 min and 15$ you need the dry bleed if bubbles come out of the dry bleed hole you are ok it needs to since the pressure so you will have 135 or so over bottom pres. or your reg will breath very hard WHEN MY REG LEAKS I PRETEND ITS A SHERWOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom