Sherwood Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masteele64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I picked up a used Sherwood regulator, I cannot fond a model number on it. How can I determine the model number?

post a picture and email them with the serial number. Most regulators don't have models on them, but if you post a picture someone on here will be able to ID it pretty quickly

I picked up a used Sherwood regulator, I cannot fond a model number on it. How can I determine the model number?

or you can confuse yourself by looking at the service manuals for a bunch of sherwood regulators? http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/sherwood/

Best to post a few pictures. Make sure you get a shot "inside" the mouthpiece of the primary as some models had extra "vanes" inside the second stage.

Let's see if these images post okay, if not I will retry them again.
I do not see a serial number on the 1st stage. It has a patent number 4226257 and that is all.
The second stage ser# is A1013391, patent number 3991785 and it also has an F87 on it. The seller purchased this unit about 12 years ago.

image134.jpg

image146.jpg

image147.jpg

image148.jpg

first is a brut of some variant. second is an oasis, shocker there. The brute is a good reg, when you put it on the tank you will see a small stream of bubbles coming out of the black rubber plug thing on there. That is a design feature, so don't be spooked by it.

First stage is good, no experience with the second, but should breathe decently well if serviced properly.

Oasis, hmmmm.... a variant from the 80's(?) IIRC claiming an end to "dry mouth". I'd dive it in warm water....... not the cold stuff up here......

The first stage looks like a srb3205 (late 80s-early 90s)
The oasis is very similar to the blizzard with a few differences. The cold water blizzard had Teflon coated parts to reduce the risk of ice buildup and the oasis did not.

If I remember correctly first stage (srb3205) is same for blizzard and oasis. It had an operating range between 125-145psi. The blizzard (125psi) was set lower than the oasis(145psi). The oasis with higher intermediate pressure to increase cooling of second stage parts as air entered. That increased the condensation on the fins inside the mouthpiece in warm environments. That moisture would return to the diver in inhalation. The blizzard with a lower IP so as to reduce the cooling and moisture build up in the second stage.

The guy that sold it to me said it was an oasis, I do not know if he was talking about the first or the second stage.

The 1st stages of the Brut and Magnum/Oasis/Blizzards looked very similar to each other......but, the Brut had 1 less LP port and had "Brut" engraved on it (where the extra LP port is located in the one in the picture).
The 1st stage of the Brut is unbalanced and the others used a movable orifice to achieve balancing.
Your 1st stage is the "balanced" model and not a Brut......not that it really makes any difference at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom