Inflator valve repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I purchased a Sherwood Magnum BCD a long time ago. It has only been used twice and was then in storage for a decade. The inflator valve crumbled where it is attached to the BCD itself. I'm being told this can not be repaired? Please tell me this is not true!! I have come across aftermarket repair kits but I find it a bit scary :-/.

I am not familiar with that BCD, but I think that 99.99% of things that can't be repaired are BS and can in fact be repaired.

Inflators and corrugated hoses are pretty much universal, but the flange that attaches to the bladder is not. If that is the part that is damaged, there is a good chance it can not be replaced. Sherwood may have changed the design. They are toothed cam type flanges. However, it might be possible to get a whole new flange and replace the welded part too. Of course there's no way it would be worth the effort or expense.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

My local dive shop says it can't be fixed but I feel they would rather sell me a new one instead. I found a website scuba-fix.com but it's in Singapore and its really the only thing I have found that says it can be repaired so I am sceptical.

I'm with Ken, you're going to be spending minimum $80 in parts to get a new inflator assembly and that may or may not be able to fix it depending on if the flange is welded or not. If the flange is welded, you're pretty much SoL.

In the Sherwood forum unfortunately, but you're likely going to have to get something new anyway
https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/pkg_metal.shtml
You're in florida, if you're down by Miami/FLL, go down and check that package out in person, worth the bit of extra money for a system that is a bit more durable and versatile. If something like that happens to a backplate and wing like this, the inner bladder can be replaced quite inexpensively compared to a whole new rig, and the rigs are built to last. Unfortunately most BC's aren't modular to save money, and unfortunately that means when they break, you cut all of the metal bits off and throw it in the trash. Do save the dump valves and inflator assembly off of it as those are all universal and if they aren't broken they're worth keeping

i would be worried that you experienced a failure. bcds are pretty much bullet proof. was this a manufacturing defect (long out of warranty) or caused by abuse or really bad storage conditions?

if isolated manufacturing defect, then replacing a few parts is not very costly as long as you can locate parts. check ebay or put out a specific request here on scubaboard. lots of people have old spare stuff lying around.

if bad storage, then toss the bcd and start over. i have scuba gear that is approaching 30 years old. still in good shape.

I expect it is repairable. The question is how difficult. Can you provide pictures of the damage? Is the connecting material clean and undamaged? What is the diameter of the hole?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom