Help ID this reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an old Sherwood Regulator that I got several years ago from a guy that worked with my wife. I have had it serviced about 7 years ago, but I don't know anything about it. Can anyone help me? What is it, and what features does it have (Diaphram, piston, thermal protection etc) and is it still viable to use (the first stage mostly with a different second put on it?

image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpg

it has the dry bleed system, so it is suitable for cold weather use, not sealed though, but the drybleed is very effective. It is a balanced piston, and still very viable for use. Parts are also readily available. Second stage can be serviced as well and brought back if you choose. This is the Sherwood section so we aren't supposed to offer other brand options, but it can be used with any second stage on the market. There is only 1 that usually puts most regulators out due to a high IP requirement, but this can handle it.

As far as specific model, there have been so many subtle variations and I pay little attention to them, so someone with more direct experience can tell you exactly what it is, but it is under the same general concept as the Brut, but not sure which variant it is. Good solid first stage, not the highest performing, not the best for most hose routing, obviously not the most efficient or best for stage or deco use since it has the drybleed on it, but a very reliable solid first stage that works well in any environment I've used them in.

Well.... it's an older Sherwood, you're right about that. I don't recognise the second stage off hand, I'd have to google it, but i'm pretty sure by the general design that it's a mid 80's model. Probably a brut or an oasis.

The first stage is a virtually bullet proof balanced piston design that is very specific to Sherwood. I think most divers would tell you that it's one of the most reliable types of 1st stages ever made. Sherwood has an absolutely stellar reputation for reliability that is well earned and well deserved.

The second stage is a basic unbalanced downstream 2nd. The lack of bells and whistles is both good and bad. On the one hand, it's not user tunable or even a particularly good performer by today's standards, especially in very deep water. On the other hand, this reg will still be working as well as the day it was made when you and I have turned to dust.

On the whole, if you look purely at performance there are regs on the market now that are much easier to breathe from, especially at deep depths. On the other hand, if you look at it in terms of reliability, I can't think of a single reason, provided it has been well maintained, to want to replace it.

R..

I have an old Sherwood Regulator that I got several years ago from a guy that worked with my wife. I have had it serviced about 7 years ago, but I don't know anything about it. Can anyone help me? What is it, and what features does it have (Diaphram, piston, thermal protection etc) and is it still viable to use (the first stage mostly with a different second put on it?

View attachment 202152View attachment 202153View attachment 202154View attachment 202155View attachment 202156

Not a great photo of the second stage, but it appears to be an early 1990's Maximus. (Affectionately called the "Darth Vader Model") If so, there is a breathing adjustment on the hose side of the second stage, and a long under arm length hose. The first stage is one of the last group with the dry bleed orifice integral into the piston. As long as the dry bleed is functioning it is a good reg. If the filter is blocked, the entire piston needs to be replaced. There are a few pistons still around, but since they have long since been discontinued by the manufacturer are expensive. The succeeding model group have round first stages with the dry bleed incorporated into the the body.

Keys appears to have it right. The 2nd stage appears to be an early Maximus if I believe advertisements of people who have been selling them.

I don't recall (although I'm not a walking encyclopedia when it comes to regs) that Sherwood had any regs in the 1980's called Maximus.

Personally I owned a Sherwood maximus that I bought new in the late 90's and it had the more modern Maximus design with the oval form.

So I think he's right that it's probably from the early to mid 1990s.

R..

I has an adjustment on the side opposite the hose but not on the side with.

Looks very like my Maximus, except the zigzag on the Darth Vader is blue and mine is white. Bought mine in about 1994.

I has an adjustment on the side opposite the hose but not on the side with.[/QUOTE

Interesting.
How about posting a picture of the second stage which shows it and the hose connection from the front. The hose should enter from below into a T-shaped connection with the adjustment knob on the side.

I has an adjustment on the side opposite the hose but not on the side with.[/QUOTE

Interesting.
How about posting a picture of the second stage which shows it and the hose connection from the front. The hose should enter from below into a T-shaped connection with the adjustment knob on the side.

Im an idiot. I posted that when I was at a restaurant. The knob is on the side with the hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom